Part 9

Vote

Comment

Share

--

Jason's Point of View.

We walk into her apartment.

"You're welcome to watch t.v. I just have to organise a few things." She says as she disappears into another room.

I look around for the remote, on the coffee table. I spread myself across the couch, making myself comfortable. I turn it on.

"Jason McCann is-." I change the channel. "West Side gang-." Change again. "Evidence linking back to criminal Jason-." I turn the t.v off. Our latest adventures always headline the news.

I lay back on the lounge and close my eyes.

Your Point of View.

I walk back in the lounge room to see Jason sprawled over the couch sleeping peacefully. I decide not to wake him up and carry on as normal.

With my laptop in my hands, I sit down at the table and open google.

How to help someone suffering with a mental illness. I type in.

I start taking notes.

Educate yourself about the illness, the website suggests. But what illness does he have?

In a different tab, I type in Symptoms of different mental health issues.

Mood disorders refer to conditions that disturb our mood to the point where it becomes difficult to function in relationships or at work. Depression and bipolar disorder are both classified as mood disorders. People's lived experience with mood disorders vary greatly, however mood disorders can cause a person to withdraw from social contact or hide their real feelings from people close to them.

Jason might possibly have depression and bipolar. It's obviously difficult for him to open up. In addition to this, his personality ranges from neutral, to compassionate, to angry within a short period of time. Maybe PTSD too? There was obviously something traumatic that happened in his life.

How to approach someone with a mental illness Is the next thing I search.

Give the person opportunities to talk. It can be helpful to let the person choose when to open up. However if they do not initiate conversation about how they are feeling, you should say something to them. Speak openly and honestly about your concerns.

Jason doesn't really like people being concerned about him, it makes him feel inferior. Maybe I could do it indirectly?

I keep searching.

***

People with bipolar mood disorder experience extreme mood swings-

"What are you doing?" A raspy voice snaps me away from my laptop. I look up to see Jason sitting upright on the couch.

"I uh, nothing. Just online shopping." I lie.

"What time is it?" He asks rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"7:30pm." I reply. God, where'd the time go?

"Must've been a good sleep." He chuckles to himself.

That's the first time I've ever seen him smile, its faint and light but it's still there. It quickly disappears and is replaced with his regular neutral expression.

"Are you hungry?" I ask.

"A little."

"I could get Chinese? There's a shop just down the road."