a cattish challenge

This was happening far too fast.

You just had made your decision but it definitely needed a lot more overthinking and changing your mind and deciding against it after all, because this was what you normally did.

You didn't just decide things. You overthought them and twisted them in your mind, trying to find even the smallest disadvantage.

It wasn't normal for you to come to a conclusion that fast.

Thor didn't care about your sudden reluctance. He was already out of the door, his hammer dangling from his left hand like a woman's bag.

"On we go, Lady (y/n). There's no time to be wasted!" , he shouted rather cheerfully, waving at you invitingly.

You hesitated for one more moment, then you started moving.

With slow, shaky moves you picked up your coat and wrapped it around you. Your little safe zone. It at least gave you some comfort.

Then you chose your shoes and took your time doing that again. You could still act as if you couldn't decide for a cat when the two of you arrived at the shelter.

This thought made you a bit more cheerful but there still was the task of leaving the house and walking through the busy city. A tough one for you.

Even though the fear already pet you with its cold, cruel hands, you followed Thor out of your flat, locking the door behind you.

"You do know where the shelter is to be found?" , asked Thor, who was already halfway through the aisle but suddenly stopped and stared at you.

It was a good thing that you really loved animals and had been to the shelter before. Years had passed since then and it almost felt as if you had been a different person back then. It had been a different life. It was a life before the fear took over. A nice life. Just without an animal.

"Yes, I happen to know where to go" , you stated while you wrapped your arms around your body. You walked behind Thor as the aisle didn't provide enough space for you to walk beside him without making you uncomfortable.

Thor didn't look less attractive from behind though. His red cape was blown up behind him. You could see the muscles in his arms and legs working while he walked, carrying his beloved Mjölnir. It seemed as if this hammer was his pet. It seemed as if even Thor could be lonely sometimes.

"Are you lonely sometimes?", you blurted out, regretting it just a second later.

He turned his head but continued to walk.

"Everyone gets lonely from time to time. Why do you ask?" , he questioned.

"It's ... just ... the way you hold your ... your ... hammer" , you stuttered, wrapping your arms even tighter around your thin body. You really should eat a bit more.

Thor raised an eyebrow.

"The way I hold my hammer? How?" , he asked curiously. You had caught his attention. This meant, until the two of you stopped in front of the elevator.

"Well ... you hold it ... like a ... a beloved ... pet ... and it's ... it's just a ... a simple ... tool" , you muttered, hoping that Thor didn't feel offended and waiting for him to press the button of the elevator.

He just stood there and looked at you.

"The hammer is indeed very important to me. It saved my life multiple times and killed off many of my enemies. I don't know what I'd do without him. It gives me the power to summon thunder and lightning and it can only be lifted by people it thinks to be worthy.