Epilogue

-12 years later -

You stood in front of the tiny gravestone in your garden. It was raining but you didn't care. It barely ever happened that you found the time to stand there and grief. A bit of rain wouldn't stop you.

The stone had been there for five years now and was covered with ivy. You normally did your best at removing this plant for the sake of your cats. Some of them were dumb enough to chew at it, especially old red Loki and you had had several rushed trips to the vet before.

It was just that you loved ivy. This was the only reason it was allowed to stay. It was beautiful and some kind of symbol for love and hope and eternity. For the love and hope you had had for the tiny creature buried here.

A creature that had been with you through the worst. It had pressed its tiny head against you and purred you to sleep. It had seen how your children had been born and was grateful.

She had been at your side all her life, even in the end when she was in pain and could barely walk she wanted to be at your side all the time. You had wrapped a small towel around your waist then and placed the cat in there. You had been pregnant back then but you didn't care. The creature that had given you everything you needed definitely deserved everything you could do.

She had loved it. Her head had always rested on your chest so she could hear your heartbeat and she rested on your round belly, purring permanently.

She had waited until the baby had been born. The day you came home from hospital you felt it.

You felt that she would leave you forever and it silenced the happiness of having a healthy little girl.

She lay there on your bed, barely able to lift her head, her green eyes fixed on you. A rough, weak sound had escaped her when you took her tiny head in your hands.

"You have to leave me, don't you?" , you had said, feeling even too sad to cry.

She had placed her paws on your wrist and then she had fallen asleep forever but she left you the promise of happiness.

You had been heartbroken and cried a lot but there were children to care for and you had to keep going.

A single tear found its way down your cheeks. You had thought that it would become easier over the years but it hadn't. You still missed your little friend.

"Mum?" , asked a gentle voice that reminded you so much of the voice of his father.

You hastily removed the tears from your face and turned around to face your oldest son. You didn't want him to see you cry. Children should never have to see their parents cry. It's a cruel thing.

"What's up, James?" , you asked, gently placing your hand on your sons shoulder. He had long blond hair and did not allow anyone to cut it, even though you tried to talk him into it. He always ended the conversation with the words: "Dad also had his hair like this when he was young! I saw the photos!" There was nothing you could do about it.

The boy was eight years old now. He had known the little creature buried there. He had been three years old when she left them. Not old enough to remember her.

"I am hungry and dad threatened to cook something! You need to stop him!" , cried the boy. You grinned.

"I better stop him, then" , you laughed, "already go in then, you are getting all wet. I'll be there in a minute!"

James did as he was told and disappeared in the house.

You sighed and turned back to the tombstone, carefully placing a hand on the wet stone.