Chapter 10: Drifting Apart

I pulled my hair into a messy bun and stuck a black barette through it. After putting on my Disneyland sweatshirt and some ripped skinny jeans, I grabbed my cars keys and headed over to Jen's. 

My mother would have a heart attack if she saw me leaving the house like this. She's always into proper dressing and presenting yourself well in front of people.

Well too bad mum.

Jen was waiting for me on the curb, waving at me excitedly. I smiled, as she opened the passenger door and jumped into my shiny, white maserati. Hah birthday gift.

"Valeroooocakes!" she screamed, giving me a side hug.

"Hey Jen," I try and give her a smile, but I think it looks kind of strained. 

"So first stop Huntington Plaza!!!" she says.

Huntington Plaza is one of the biggest, fanciest malls in Beverly Hills. One of my mother's favorite places to shop, considering you only get in with VIP access.

I just stared at Jen for a while. Gosh, she was so beautiful. To be honest, I'm really envious of her looks.

The deep dimples, the perfectly tanned skin, the pretty curls in her hair. She was the definition of "hot" at our school.

I don't even know how I became friends with Jen. We've been inseperable since second grade, but she didn't leave me when Louis started bullying me. She stuck by me and I love that.

Not to mention she's such a social butterfly, while I was the awkward girl who's mummy could buy her into everything and everywhere. 

"What're you staring at silly?" she said, waving me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, nuthin' sorry," I mumble, starting the car again.

"Ok.... not creepy at all," she laughs. I laugh along with her.

We continue talking about random things in the car-- my fight with Louis, her admission into Beverly Hill's own WestCoast Ultrasound Institute, and her texts with Harry.

"Maybe Harry likes you," I suggest.

She blushes and says, "Oh Val, stop it. He's the Harry Styles."

"And you're the Jennifer Hashton."

"Good point." We laugh again. 

We've reached Huntington Plaza now. I can see all the posh cars pulling up into the 5 story parking lot, and the glassy white buildings nearby.

Once we parked and entered the mall, Jen pulled me into the nearest nail salon.

The lady at the counter seated us both, and two middle aged women came out to greet us.

They massaged our feet with oils and gave us a nice, warm toe scrub. To top it off, they painted our nails, and styled them with miniature designs. 

I grin down at the final product. My fingernails and toenails are styled with a dark pink color, and I really like the way they did the french nails.

We spent the next three hours getting facials and waxes, so I'd look perfect in my dress tonight. Lastly, we stopped by Lori's Hair Salon to get my hair styled.

Lori, as the name implies, pins certain parts of my hair back in tiny intricate braids. She brings the braids together and then curls the rest of it. It looks amazing!

"Wow, you look so gorgeous Valeroooo!" Jen smiles.

"Thanks," I smile back, looking in the mirror.