Chapter 15: Not The Bad Guy?

Louis's POV

I can't believe I just said that out loud. In front of my parents.

I could see tiny tears pooling in Valerie's eyes. WHY? WHY DO I KEEP SAYING ALL THE WRONG THINGS?

If I don't tell her how I feel about her soon, I might never get the chance. Stupid, Louis, stupid. You keep hurting her!

Valerie was faced away from me now, staring glumly out the window. She made little sniffling noises, and I felt the guilt piling up in my chest.

"Louis, how do you feel about a circular table arrangement for the wedding?" my mum asks me, putting her hand on my thigh.

"That's fine I guess," I mumble.

"Well how about a horizontal arrangement, so we can get it some more sunlight?" 

"Mum to be honest, I don't give a shit." I snapped.

"Oh," she said, taken aback, "Well then I--"

"Sorry," I said quickly, "I just need some time alone."

She gave me a sympathetic look and ruffled my hair, "Ok, darling. Are you feeling sick?"

"No," I sighed, "Just tired."

The limo came to a hault and Val scurried out grabbing her dress in handfuls, as soon as the chauffeur opened our door. She ran towards the front door and was out of sight.

I followed behind her, but she was already pummeling up the stairs. 

"MISS MATTHEWS!" shouted Marge, emerging from the kitchen with a tray in hand. 

"That smells really good Marge, what is it?" I say, trying to lean over and check it out.

"I've prepared a red velvet cake, it's Miss Valerie's favorite desert," she says, frowning.

"Oh," I say, looking down.

"I suppose she'll just have some tea then. Would you mind taking it to her dear? I need to wait for the cheese souffle to come out of the oven," Marge says, smiling sweetly.

"Um, okay. Sure."

I wait for Marge to pour some milky tea into a small, white teacup. She hands it to me and waddles off into the kitchen.

I walk up the staircase and go down one hallway, and I see Valerie's door. A sign hangs on her door that reads, "Knock or I'll knock your head off."

I grin cheekily, remembering that we made that sign together in 6th grade.

I knock three times politely, but she doesn't answer the door. I can hear faint noises on the other side. This time, I knock a little harder, hoping she'll answer.

The door flies open, and I take a quick step back. The tea in my hands sloshes around in its cup.

"What?" she spits, holding her cellphone to her ear.

We make eye contact, and I open my mouth to say something, but she glares like she's going to murder me next.

"I'll call you back, Jen," she says cautiously. I scan Val's face. She looks like she's been crying.

"I brought you tea. I mean, I didn't want to. But Marge made me," I rambled.

She doesn't say anything, but just carefully takes the tea from my hands and tries to close the door. I gaze into her eyes for a quick second.

-Flashback-

 "Valerie. Can I talk to you?" I say, walking up to her.