Sleep Paralysis And REM Cycles

Sleep paralysis is something that happens to everyone (although sleepwalkers have more difficulty with it). We're just usually asleep when it occurs. When you're awake, though, it can be frightening to find yourself trapped in sleep paralysis. Don't worry! It won't last forever, and you can always easily escape it if you want to. However, WILD users, don't try to escape sleep paralysis when it hits. It means your technique is working, so there is no need to panic.

I've personally been in sleep paralysis twice (once by accidentally using the WILD technique, good job me). Common side effects are feelings of fear, hallucinations, and a feeling of pressure on the chest.  But as I've already said, there's no need to panic.  You can escape at any time by wiggling your fingers and toes, which will tell your body that you've woken up.  However, if you struggle too much, it'll get worse, since your body still thinks you're asleep.  Keep the movements small so your body will understand that you've awoken.

Another thing I wanted to cover was Rapid Eye Movement (REM) cycles.  REM is a phase during sleep that occurs during your deepest sleep, about 4-6 hours after you fall asleep.  Your eyes will move around randomly during this time.  In the Wake Back To Bed (WBTB) technique, you can wake up during this period then fall back asleep to induce lucid dreams.  Dreams occur most frequently during REM cycles.