Protection

(The prompt was the line "There was no way I was going to admit to anything", but I didn't want to write some lowly criminal story)

"There was no way I was going to admit to anything. I had to protect myself. But, I also had to protect you. I know you don't understand right now, I hardly do either, but you have to believe me. I can't tell you why you're being protected, I can't tell you anything. Just please believe me; I did what I had to for the sake of us! Everything will make sense in time. For your protection, do as I say. The ones hunting me will find you soon, do NOT be afraid. Tell them what I did, tell them it was my fault, and make sure you look them in the eye or they'll know otherwise. I had to do it to protect myself, but if you don't do as I say, they'll turn it on you and I just can't let that happen. You stay home, that's the safest place for you. As for me, I'll keep running. I'll find some way to keep contact but if I rest, I'll be found..."

"They're here. I have to go now, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'll see you soon, we'll make it through this, we'll find our safe haven. Please forgive me, I couldn't let them live, and now I pay the price. I'll see you soon, I love y--"