CHAPTER 45-Dirty Dishes

Well understood problem is a half-way solved problem. 

So, I just need to understand her. 

LoG, 297

Drian was covering his nose in disgust. He lay next to two Y-shaped sticks, each pounded vertically into the ground on either side of their little improvised campfire. The light on his Viewstone shone with a distinct dark blue colour. He was aware that The Dark was approaching.

The unbearable smell of charred, skewered meat was hanging all around him in the air.

Drian placed a piece on a wooden plate, out of courtesy. The taste wasn't any better than its smell. It made him gag. He gave in to a strong feeling of revulsion and disapproval. The meal before him went on offending his nostrils.

"My super exquisite stunning deeply flavoured culinary gourmet dish got burnt." Damona pushed her bottom lip forward, looking petulantly annoyed with herself.

"You mean, your Barrens rat got burnt," Drian specified.

"And I was really trying hard here!" he thought she looked cute when she was sulking. "I was going for Rat Rotisserie and then ... then that damned butterfly appeared out of nowhere."

"You got distracted by a butterfly? That's why the meat got burnt?"

Damona shrugged. "My giant cat instincts overwhelmed me, what can I say?" She smiled.

Grumpiness erupted from Drian. "It's easy for you and Malik to say; you hunt and he eats whatever he can peck on. What about me? I haven't had a decent meal in Lights."

"Yesterday's meal was much better than today's," she noted.

"Of course, because I prepared that one!"

Damona had a dreamy oblivious look on her face. "And you did a wonderful job. The dandelion leaves had a peppery kick to them, didn't they? And was it chickweed I sensed? And lemony flavoured wood sorrel?"

"I found all those salad ingredients yesterday when I went gathering with Malik, along with some shrooms, hazelnuts and walnuts. As a matter of fact, let me see if there are some hazelnuts left from the previous Light." Drian rummaged through the rucksack.

"Hey, I helped to gather yesterday as well! I brought dandelion, primrose and wild violets you used in that salad of yours. All edible and nutritious stuff."

"Sure." He acknowledged Damona's assistance a bit brashly but then added. "Still, I think it's better that I handle the preparation of my own food in the days to come. In other words, I will cook from now on."

"Suit yourself." The female Shape Changer harrumphed. "I only wanted to surprise you with a nice meal, seeing how you have been complaining a lot lately."

"This journey is taking too long." Drian instinctively pulled the shard of the mini ViewWall from his pocket, staring at the pale face of his father. "Also, we have been marching non-stop, almost without taking a break."

"Well, that's contradictory." She stung him with a remark. "First you whine about how the trip is long and then you are all like 'why aren't there any more breaks?'"

"I know. I'm sorry," Drian replied after a short pause, defeated. "It seems like I am bothered by everything lately. The truth is ... I can't stop thinking about my father."

"That, I can understand. But you know you can't help him yet. First, you have to figure out who you are. Then, when you finally accept yourself, you go back to your settlement and aid him, spend time with him."