Keeping us safe

Everly's P.O.V.

Hues of pink and yellow spread across the sky, as I glance at the setting sun. Crickets chirp, filling the air with their songs, as Is it here alone. The soft bench nestled at the back of the sanctuary has been my only place to gather my thoughts.

I knew to tell Negan a dream and make him see it as a warning would be an impossible task; I just wish I would have known how impossible. His dark hazel eyes seemed worried but determined to not be defeated by hurting father. The way he acted when I told him, still bothers me but I guess I have to understand where he is coming from.

In his mind, I am just worried about what a war with king Ezekiel would cost us when in truth, I am worried about losing my daughter. Either way, he has two days make up his mind. King Ezekiel is giving us two days to surrender, if not then it's war. He can't keep pushing people and killing their children, and not expect retribution. The conversation this morning didn't end well, but maybe after he calms down, he will see I am right.

Flashback to early this morning, same day.

Every P.O.V.

My mind was too distraught to sleep, so I decided to go up got the roof to watch the sunrise. The still quiet of the morning is a rare sound to echo in this busy community. The edge of the roof allows me to see the walkers chained below. They're groaning are the only thing to hear as I glance out the courtyard.

The destruction of the sanctuary and neighboring communities because of war would only bring more death and allow the dead to claim more lives. If Negan won't listen to me, maybe king Ezekiel will. He has always been a level-headed man, one determined to keep his people safe.

Surely, he knows, a war would not solve anything right? Of course, if Negan had killed my daughter, I  couldn't care what the cost was; Negan would die.

The loud sound of heavy steps scraping against the concrete, causes my head to turn. Negan reaches me quickly, eager to drape his outstretched arm over my shoulders.

" What are you thinking about?" His groggy voice asks as he stares out into the yard.

" A bad dream. I think it might have been a warning of some kind. "

" What kind of warning?" His voice laced with concern.

" I had a dream that my daughter died because of a war with King Ezekiel. I know it may seem like I am being paranoid, but part of me thinks its a warning of what could happen."

Negan lets out a heavy sigh, he gently squeezes my cold frame.
" That old king won't try anything. He knows he doesn't have the men for this kind of fight. He would lose all his men if we went to war, not mention supplies would be wasted if we had to attack them. He may be pissed, but he won't try anything."

I shook my head, as I pulled away from his grasp. " I am not so sure. The only reason I was marrying his son in the first place was to make an alliance against you. He wants us to fight together to kill you, and that was before you killed his child.  If it were me, you would have been dead already."

" Duly noted, don't piss you off."  He joked as he chuckled to himself.

" I am not joking Negan! I honestly think this is more serious then you realize. He is a leader, one whose son you killed. Then rubbed his dead son's body in his face."

Negans eyes narrowed, he lifts Lucille off his shoulder. " I did what I had to do! That prick shot me, and ambushed me! I couldn't let him fucking get away with that shit!" Negan snarled.

" I am not saying you are not justified in killing Zane; just  that rubbing it in his dad's face was the wrong move."  I clarified.

" I am not proud of that, I was just trying to break him. Keeping him from attacking us."

A loud gunshot rang through the air, making me freeze in place.

" Negan, Come out you leather clothed  Devils!" King Ezekiel spat.

" I think we have company. Tell Simon to have our snipers on this roof. I will go answer this asshole."

" I am coming with you. "

" Tell Simon, then meet me at the gate."

" Fine."

I ran down the halls eager to finish my task. Simon was standing in line for food, just as I walked in. " Simon, Negan need your snipers on the roof. We have company. "

His eyebrows furrowed. " Who?"

" Ezekiel!" I yelled as I hurried to get back to my husband. The sun now sat high in the sky, as I ran to the gate.

Negan stood with his hand resting on Lucille like a buckshot grizzly bear. His teeth bared, as he paced back and forth. Ezekiel held his staff close to his body, as he glared angrily at our leader.

" I have given my demands. You have two days to recuse yourself as a leader, or we attack. If you choose war, it will only bring death. I can assure you my group may be small, but I have brave men of valor. Ones that will fight until the last of your man stand." He threatened, then walked away, leaving me stunned once again.

End of flashback.

" Everly, are you coming inside? Negan wants to see you." Simon stated flatly.

" I don't want to see him. I told him this would happen. He wouldn't listen to me."

" He needs you, Everly, I know you think your just another wife, but you're wrong. He needs you, don't abandon him now."

His words made me question my worth to Negan. Was I more important than his other wives? Does he care about me? I guess the only way to know is to go to him.

" Fine, I am coming."