Settling in

Everly's P.O.V.

After Justin's outburst, he was sent to a cell to cool off. Rick said it was perfectly fine for Lacey to stay, and gave us directions to a vacant house. Negan decided to discuss supplies  with Rick  while I help Lacey settle in

I am currently sitting in her room while she unpacks her bag. The expectant mother carefully places her clothes in the closet, trying to organize her things. 

Her eyes keep looking at me as if she wants to ask about Justin. I am sure she thinks it rude to ask, but I don't mind. So I decided to clear the air.

" Justin was my husband before the world ended. He lived on a base most of the time, even the day the apocalypse started.

He recently came back into my life hoping for us to be a family again. He said he thought about me and our daughter all the time. That we were his reason for living."

Lacey slowly lowers herself onto the bed, trying to keep her tipsy body balanced.

" So, what happened? Why didn't you want him back?"

" I met Negan."

" Did you know Negan before all of this? Or did you fall in love after all the dead began coming back to life?"

" I met Negan when he came a year ago. He initially came for supplies, but ended up with me."

" How?" She questions.

" Well, my daughter was shot, and he said he would help for a price."

" What price?"

" My freedom. He said if I was his wife, he would have his doctor save Chelsea, that's my daughter."

" So, you agreed to save your daughter, but then how did you fall in love?"

" I am not honestly sure, it just crept up on me. I think it started when I saw him play with her. She enjoyed him so much, and he seemed to genuinely like her.

Then he was hurt when we were ambushed, and I felt worried for him. I guess I realized how much he was a part of my life. He has taken care of me and my child, and I love him for it.

Then I was reunited with Justin, and I knew I really did love Negan."

" How?"

" I didn't take Justin back. At that moment, my heart made its decision. It knew Negan was the one I loved. I love him, and I am also carrying his child."

" It sounds like you have endured a lot as well. I am happy you have found happiness. I hope one day to be happy too again." Lacey laments.

I place my hand on hers, gripping it with my own. I hope she and Justin will become friends, and maybe, fall in love.

A shuffling at the door draws out attention to Negan standing by the door.

" If you two are done, we need to head back. The snow is getting heavier and I want to be home before dark."  Negan states.

" I am ready to go. Do we still have time to get the horse?" I ask hopefully we can.

" I sent Simon to retrieve it, so it should arrive the same time we do."

" Good, I am glad. Now, our daughter will be happy."

I slowly get up giving my friend a hug. Her small arms wrap around me, encasing me with love.

" Thank you for everything.  I don't know what I would have done." Lacey admits.

Small tears fall down her cheeks, as we pull apart. My thumb gently swipes them away, as I begin to cry as well.