Chapter 6

(A/N: This sucks.. oof.)

Maddie's POV

I wake up to my alarm clock going off on my phone. When I click snooze, I see that I have a text from Caleb that I got 2 hours ago. Why does he get up so early? I open it and he asks me if I wanna meet him downstairs around 9:30 to go get breakfast. It's 9:00 right now. I text back 'sure', and he reads in but doesn't respond.

"Huh," I say before getting out of bed. I lay out some clothes and take a fast shower. When I'm dressed, I blow-dry my hair and put on just a little bit of makeup. I grab my phone and some money before I open the door and walk out. I see Caleb getting in the elevator with... Hayley? And she's crying?

They get in the elevator together and I try to catch up with them before the elevator doors shut, but I'm too late. I walk to the other elevator, only to see a sign that reads 'not working'.

"Ugh," I say frustrated and go down the hallway, walking in a fast pace to get to the stairs. By the time I'm in the lobby I don't see them anywhere. I send another message to Caleb, 'Hey, I'm here in the lobby waiting for you. Where are you?' And after a moment, he reads it but doesn't respond again. "What the heck?" I say to myself.

I sit down in one of the chairs in the lobby. After 10 minutes there is still no sign of Caleb. I stand up and walk outside. I walk around looking, but I still can't find him. I eventually give up on looking for him and go back to the hotel. When I walk into the lobby, I see Caleb going towards the elevator, and Hayley is still with him. Still crying. What the heck is going on?

"Caleb!" I call out, but he doesn't hear me.

I rush towards the elevator, but just my luck, I miss it AGAIN. I breathe out and go back to the stairs. After rushing up the stairs I find the door labeled with our floor number. I open it and see Caleb and Hayley going down the hall.

"I hate to say it," Hayley sniffs, but she's stopped crying now, "I never EVER thought she would do something like that!"

What?

"Hayley, just stop," Caleb says, "I don't believe that. Maddie isn't like that."

I am SO confused right now.

"If only you knew," Hayley sighs, "If you don't believe me, you can ask Gabby."

WHAT.

"Please just go," Caleb says, taking out his room key.

Hayley crosses her arms and sighs. I don't interrupt because I want to listen to what Hayley has to say. What is she saying to Caleb about me? Caleb's door opens and he goes in, but as the door is shutting, Hayley pushes it open more and follows him inside. I run to the door before it shuts all the way, and luckily put my hand on the door before it's all the way closed. I stand at the door, my ear against it, my hand holding the door open by just a little.

"I would NEVER lie to you," I hear Hayley say, "Maddie, on the other hand. Well.."

"Get out," I hear Caleb say.

"I wish you would just listen to me! She's no good for you. She wants Cade. I heard it with my own ears. Like I said, you can ask Gabby!"

Okay, this has gone TOO far. I start to go in until I hear Caleb speak again.

"I will NEVER believe you. I thought I told you to get out?"

"I'm way better for you. I wish you could see that," Hayley sighs.

"Maddie is perfect for me. I wish YOU could see that."

And then it's silent. I wait for a moment before I push the door all the way open. NO. This isn't happening. They're kissing.