Chapter 18

Maddie's POV

I wake up and I don't know where I am. I see white and I see bright lights. Once my vision is focused I look to my right side and see Caleb sitting in the chair with his head in his hands. I look forward and see the blanket over me, and I realize I'm in the hospital. It takes me a moment but I then remember what happened.

I look back over to Caleb who still has his head in his hands, "Caleb?"

He raises his head and quickly comes to my side, "I love you so much. I'm so so glad that you're okay. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"I love you," I smile weakly.

"I'm so sorry," he apologizes.

"Caleb, it's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong."

"I promised that I wouldn't let her hurt you. I promised that I'd protect you and I failed. I'm so sorry."

"Hey, stop," I say, reaching out and taking his hand, "I'm glad you're okay."

"I wish it was me instead."

"Caleb, stop."

"I'm gonna go tell the doctor you're awake," he says before going out the door.

After the doctor checks me and says I'll be okay to leave in about a week, he walks out, leaving me and Caleb alone.

"I already can't wait to get out of here," I sigh.

"I hate myself," Caleb mumbles.

"Oh my gosh, Caleb, stop."

The door opens and Catie and Gabby come in. After we talk for a moment, I bring up a thought that I've been thinking ever since I woke up.

"Where's Hayley?"

Gabby smirks, "Arrested."

"Really?" I smile.

She nods, "we don't have to worry about her anymore."

"Bitch deserves worse," Catie mumbles.

Eventually, Catie and Gabby leave. Caleb pulls the chair over, putting it right beside my bed. He takes my hand and looks deep into my eyes with a small smile on his face.

I smile back, "What?"

"You're beautiful," he states.

I laugh, "not in this moment."

"You always are," he squeezes my hand.

"Hey, it's getting late. Why don't you go get some sleep?" I ask.

"I'll sleep here."

"No, you don't have to. I'm sure that chair and that couch aren't comfortable," I raise my eyebrows.

"They're fine."

"Caleb," I smile, "you're sweet."

"I'm so glad you're okay. I was so scared," he says softly. He leans forward and kisses my forehead, "Why don't you get some sleep?"

"Okay," I say softly.

"I'll be here when you wake up. I'm not going anywhere."

"Goodnight," I close my eyes.

"Goodnight, beautiful."