Chapter 20

(A/N: So, this is the last chapter of this book. Please remember that this is a series and there are two more books coming after this! The next book will be up tomorrow! There is also a song in this chapter: Already Gone by Sleeping at Last. If you're using the Wattpad app it should be above. I will say in the story when to play it, and I have the lyrics wrote in italics. It works better if you read the lyrics as they play in the song! Anyways, thank you for reading this. Remember to be watching for the second book coming out today or tomorrow!!)

Maddie's POV

Since I've been so busy, I haven't had much time for Caleb, and I really feel SO bad about it. I can tell how upset he is when I always have to cut him off before he talks to me because I have somewhere to be. Sometimes, I think he would be better off with someone else, but I love him.

The thought of him being with someone else hurts. But seeing him upset because I can't always be there hurts, too. It's the last day of this tour. But Caleb and I feel so distant these past few months. As much as I hate it, it doesn't even really feel like we're together anymore, and it's all my fault. I see the hurt in his eyes all the time.

Even though he's on tour with me, I always have somewhere to be in the day. Interviews, morning performances. He probably thinks I love him less, but that's not true. That will never be true.

Sleeping at last is performing now, but the show is almost over. Caleb and I were watching from the wings just having small talk. I hate that. It's always small talk. We are just so distant.

I told Caleb I was going to get some water, but I'm actually in my dressing room, crying.

I have been debating this for so long, but maybe it's best. I can't do this to him anymore. He deserves someone who can always be there. Who is always there to listen. Who can spend time with him a lot, and that can't be me.

Maybe we were never meant to be more than friends.

After my cry, I have made the decision. It's killing me. I don't want to hurt him, but I'm sure he will be happier this way. I gather myself together before going and finding him in the wings.

"Caleb, I need to talk to you," I state.

He looks at me and swallows hard, "okay."

"I can't do this to you anymore, Caleb. I hate seeing you hurt because of me."

"Maddie-"

"No, don't. I can't be there, Caleb. You deserve someone who can always be there. Who you can see a lot. You deserve someone that isn't me."

"What did I do?" He says after a moment, voice cracking at the end.

Don't do this, please.

Then I hear from the stage that there are two songs left, and the next song they are singing is one of their popular covers, 'Already Gone' by Kelly Clarkson. (A/N: Press the play button on the song if you wanna listen, but you don't have to.) Oh wow. Perfect timing to be singing that song at this moment.

Remember all the things we wanted
Now all our memories, they're haunted
We were always meant to say goodbye

"You didn't do anything, Caleb," I start to cry.

Even with our fists held high
It never would've worked out right
We were never meant for do or die

"Maybe we just weren't meant to be."

Then there's an awkward silence.

I didn't want us to burn out
I didn't come here to hurt you
Now I can't stop

"But I love you, Maddie."

I look down at the floor.

I want you to know
That it doesn't matter
Where we take this road
But someone's gotta go
And I want you to know
You couldn't have loved me better
But I want you to move on
So I'm already gone

Looking at you makes in harder
But I know that you'll find another
That doesn't always make you wanna cry

"There's someone out there who is better for you. I'm not good for you," I sob.

It started with a perfect kiss
Then we could feel the poison set it
Perfect couldn't keep this love alive

"You're the best person for me," his eyes start watering.

"No, I'm not," I admit.

You know that I love you
So I love you enough to let you go

"I'm doing this for you," I wipe my eyes.

I want you to know
That it doesn't matter
Where we take this road
But someone's gotta go
And I want you to know
You couldn't have loved me better
But I want you to move on
So I'm already gone

"You are the best thing that's ever happened to me. You will always have my heart," I breathe out.

So I'm already gone

"Maddie, please don't do this," he chokes out, shaking his head.

Remember all the things we wanted
Now all our memories, they're haunted
We were always meant to say goodbye

"I love you. Please don't forget that," I give him one last kiss before turning around and going backstage.

I want you to know
That it doesn't matter
Where we take this road
But someone's gotta go
And I want you to know
You couldn't have loved me better
But I want you to move on
So I'm already gone

I hear him calling my name and coming after me.

I'm already gone

But I've already gotten my stuff and left.

Remember all the things we wanted
Now all our memories, they're haunted
We were always meant to say goodbye