Chapter 9

Maddie's POV

"Maddie, can I give you my opinion," Catie asks softly, before taking a sip of her smoothie.

"Sure," I say.

She looks up for a moment before looking me in the eyes, "I would forgive him."

I sigh and put a hand on my forehead, elbow on the table, "I want to, but..."

"I know, I know, he didn't pull away," she says in a mocking tone, "But do you really think he wants her? I mean, do you really think that?"

I stare at the table we are sitting at for a moment, "I don't want to-"

"I think you are being too insecure," she says before realizing how it sounded, and puts a hand over mine, "I know you're insecure. But Maddie, you have no reason to be. You are so beautiful inside and out. You are way better and way prettier than Hayley. Hayley is a bitch. You are one of the nicest people I've ever met. I don't think Caleb wants her. I know he loves you."

Caleb's POV

I asked Cade to come over. I wonder if he knows about Hayley spreading rumors about Maddie hitting on him. I'm sure he's heard something. A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts. I open it to find Cade standing there with a confused look on his face.

"What's going on?" He asks confused.

"I need to talk to you," I sigh.

"Okay?" He says and I step aside, letting him in.

"What's all this that Hayley is spreading about Maddie hitting on you?"

"What?" He asks, eyebrows raised, "She wasn't hitting on me."

"I know," I say, "I didn't believe her. I was just wondering if you knew anything?"

"Uh, no," he states after thinking for a moment, "I know Gabby took it wrong. After I talked to Maddie, Gabby and I kinda argued. I haven't really talked to her since."

"Think hard. If you know anything I need to know," I plead, "After Hayley was telling me all of those lies, she kissed me and Maddie saw us. She's upset."

"What?!" Cade's eyes widen, "Woah, dude. But did you-"

"No, I didn't pull away," I sigh and walk over to the window.

"Dude! Why?"

"Because I was stupid, okay?" I look at all the people walking down the street below, "I only love Maddie. She thinks I want Hayley but that is so far from the truth."

"Now that I think about it..." Cade starts.

I turn around fast, "What?"

He furrows his eyebrows, "Gabby has been talking to Hayley a lot lately."

Catie's POV

I'm sitting across a little table with Maddie. We got smoothies! Maddie's phone starts ringing and she picks it up.

"Oh, that's my mom. I'll be right back."

I nod as she stands up and goes out one exit, answering her phone. I go on twitter and sip my smoothie when I hear the bell on the other entrance door ring. I look up and gasp. It's Gabby and Hayley. I look out the window beside of me and see Maddie still on the phone. Eventually, Gabby and Hayley are sitting at a table with their drinks. I pull my hair around to hide one side of my face, trying to keep them from seeing me. I stand up slowly walk to where I can hear them talking.

"Thank you SO much for letting me pretend to like Cade," I hear Hayley laugh.

"Anything for my best friend," Gabby says.

"Caleb isn't 100% into me yet, but I'm not giving up," Hayley sighs, "But did I tell you that we kissed?"

"No way," Gabby gasps.

"Yes way!" Hayley claps her hands together, "It's a start!"

I can't take it anymore. I hear the other door open and I look and see Maddie come back in. It looks like she is looking for me. She sees me just as I'm turning back around towards Hayley. I quickly take the lid off of my smoothie cup, which is still halfway full of my strawberry smoothie.

"You manipulative bitch!" I yell before dumping the rest of my smoothie on top of her head.