41 - Convergence

September 8, 1989

Morris Day. The only person from Roger's past that didn't make his blood run cold. In fact, seeing his face put a smile on his own. Morris is good people and he, along with his ragtag excuse of a band, was an easy addition to Roger's quick evolving sphere of characters.

"This motherfuka got his ass handed to him right there on that stage! We beat his ass clean!"

"My ass ain't never been beat and it sho wasn't by none of yours."

"Did he tell you what he used to wear?"

Sitting back in his chair, Roger shook his head, crossing his arms. "Gone and tell 'em."

"These little silky panty looking thangs! I don't -" Morris couldn't talk for laughing. So much so that tears sprang up. The others around them were doing a poor job at holding in their hysterics. "But wait, and that was it! Half-naked ass just jumping around."

Roger looked around at members of his own band yucking it up. "I hope y'all like zeros cause that's all that's gonna be on your checks. Ahahahaa!" He mocked their laughter.

"Personally I don't think it's funny." Michael said, playing the goody two-shoe.

Of course Levi, who wasn't even trying to hide his amusement, was nearby to give him the eye.

Roger didn't sway to the brownnosing. To Michael, "Oh you're fired already."

Levi roared more.

"What I do?" the man shocked.

"KFC lookin' ass." Sneering, Roger joked.

They all burst into laughter at the drummer's expense.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Miko, doing all he could not to fall out of his chair, pointed to the bucket-like hat on Michael's head.

Sucking his teeth, "This is an expression of the culture."

Roger's next exclaim rippled with exaggerated laughter.

"Who's culture man, Kentucky's? Do the colonel know where you at?" he and Morris dapped. "Lemme get some mashed potatoes and you better not forget my gravy!"

Jerome, Morris's....well Roger didn't really know what the man did, but he was laughing like crazy too. Unlike Miko, he actually fell onto the floor.

"Imagine getting roasted by a nigga in heels." he cackled.

Roger paid him no mind, "Morris, get your gremlin."

Eyes searching around the room, "I don't see yo mama nowhere." Jerome shot back.

Before the dozens could start, Morris effortlessly smoothed it over. "Alright listen, all funny shit aside, we had us a time back then. You still talk to any of them?"

"No. We all went separate ways right after you cut out to Florida. Then stuff got crazy."

Morris rubbed his chin, a shade of melancholy coloring his previously jovial features. For a moment, his brown eyes looking off as if to visualize a memory.

"Yeah, Andre. I still can't believe that happened."

"Who's that?" Levi asked.

Roger kept a cool demeanor and only shifted in his seat a little bit. Arms crossed, he rubbed his elbow; letting Morris answer.

"Another guy we hung tough with. It was always us three together. He got big in the business for a second and then next thing we know, he's gone. Dead. Some freak accident."