Part 15: Backstabber

Hey everyone! Yes, I still log on to Wattpad every so often (if you were wondering), and I know I seem to be slacking with my updates for my fanfiction.  As I had said many times before, I truely do apologize for being inactive on my account lately.  Thus, I would like to thank you all for those who still have the patience and interest in reading my fanfiction (considering I haven't updated in about over a month), and I will try my best to hop back into my daily routine of updating every few days or weekly. I hope you enjoy reading this chapter, okay? ;)

                                                                                                                                                              .                          .                        .

Hearing the slight honk of a horn from behind me, I turn around and wave a goodbye at Evan in the driver's seat, and the soundly sleeping Isaac in the back.  I try to take slow, cautious steps up the driveway to the front door of my house, as my oxygen tank rumbles lowly behind me, rolling over tiny, dusty debris, and sputtering it throughout from under the cart, hitting the soles of my sneakers while I walk.  

I take one last glance behind me, toward the empty road before twisting the key into the lock of the front door.  As softly as I could, I push open the door, and immediately a draft of warm, stuffy air runs through me, sending a small shiver up my spine.  The house sounds of complete stillness and silence, and as I turn my head towards the kitchen and the living room, I realize that I am the only one awake in the house.  Wouldn't have my mom or dad called me on my cellphone once they had realized that it is 3 in the morning and their daughter isn't even home yet?  I shake my head in confusion, and quietly make my way up the stairs to my bedroom.  Still wearing the clothes I've worn during our night of revenge, I catch sight of my bed and collapse onto it with a sigh.

My eyes begin to close as fatigue washes over me and I sink down into slumber...

                                                                                                                                                               .                          .                          . 

That night (or early morning, whichever you prefer to call it), I dreamt of that day years and years back, when the three of us, Augustus, Isaac, and I, had egged Monica's car.  I could hear the muffled cheers of happiness and excitment as eggs crushed against the sides of the car, some hitting the tail lights of the car, and some soaring well over the car.  I turn to Isaac and give him a short smile, delighted to be reliving this thrilling moment in my head, and then turn to Augustus to smile at him as well.  My lips begin to curve into a small smile, when I then stop myself, and look who's appeared in front of me, rather than the grand Augustus Waters.  Instead of seeing that familiar flop of mahogany hair and sparkling blue eyes, my eyes meet up with a pair of gleaming emerald eyes instead.  And... chestnut hair.

This certainly isn't Augustus Waters.

It's Evan.

My content expression immediately becomes a confused one.  I'm just seeing things...right?  I rub my eyes to clear up my vision, and hopefully find that Augustus had switched places with Evan when I open them, but I just see a now perplexed Evan walking towards me.

Once he is a few feet in front of me, he asks, "Is everything alright?  You don't seem okay, Hazel."

I continue to stare at him bewilderedly, blinking my eyes every other second, while he just remains standing there with his arms crossed against his chest, waiting for a response.