Part 16: Playing With Death

Guys, look, I'm really absolutely sorry I haven't updated in months.  To be honest, I kind of just want this fanfiction to end already.  I'm going to finish it eventually, hopefully before December.  Here's a chapter I know all of you have been waiting far too long for.  I hope you enjoy it, okay?

                                                                                                                                                                   .                                .                            .

I turn my head as I watch Evan open the door to his car, and then slam it shut once he's inside.  The engine rumbles a low sound soon after, and his car quickly drives away.  I turn to look back at Ian and Monica, who seem to be giggling into each other ears, as if the events that had just previously occurred meaned nothing to them.  

Why is Ian acting like this?  I thought Ian was Evan's close friend?  Yes, I know I've only seen this Ian kid once at the store that night, and I probably shouldn't assume things right away, but is Ian some kind of idiot or something?  Evan even said it himself, he directly told Ian that he should stay away from Monica.    So then why would Ian choose to ignore what Evan has said and go out with her anyways?  He just can't be that desperate.  There's no way.  

I turn to look back at Ian and Monica before deciding to go back to the car, and notice that they are practically focusing on smothering saliva all over each other's faces.  

Ugh.  Ew.  

I see Isaac remaining standing in his spot innocently, without any clue as to what is happening a couple feet away from him, and so I walk over with the roll of my eyes directed towards the couple, and pull Isaac's right arm towards my car.  

"C'mon Isaac, we gotta go."  I say to him, and I loosen my grip on his arm as we near the front doors of the car.  I walk over to the other side of the vehicle and slide myself into the driver's seat, while I watch as  Isaac falls into the passenger seat next to me with absolute ease.  I start up the engine, and while we drive over to Isaac's, I am thinking of only one thought.

How is Evan handling this?

                                                                                                                                                                     .                                 .                             .

"Thanks again Hazel, see ya."  Isaac says to me as he waves in my direction for a few seconds, before turning around and walking up the sidewalk towards his front door.  

"See ya!"  I exclaim in reply.

I drive down the residential street slowly, cautious of any little children playing in the road.  I sigh, as I come to a stop, and watch as two girls, both looking to be around the age of eleven or twelve, along with a boy, running about in the street with real, smiling expressions glued on their faces.  All of their eyes seem to be glowing, filled with life and energy.  I don't honk my horn.  I don't yell at them to tell them to get off the street.  

I just watch.

Every child should be living their lives outside, skipping down their streets and playing games like tag and hide-and-seek with their friends.  These kids I stand before, look to be enjoying themselves.  They look to be appreciating life.  And that's what every child should be doing.  Because who knows, maybe one day you won't get those same privileges you once had when you were younger.