.01

Rydell High School
Venice, California 1959

"I say you're full of shit."

Jesse looked between the two guys in front of him, arms pointed to himself as he stood on top of his '50 chevy Bel Air. His face was plastered with a smug look, until his friends threw doubt at him.

"Matty, c'mon. When have I ever lied to you?" He asked, jumping down from the fender of his car onto the blacktop before straightening the collar on his leather jacket. Matty sent a look towards Luke, who also couldn't believe the words coming out of Jesse's big mouth. Jesse Rutherford was known for making things up.

"Jesse, no babe in their right mind would put up with an actor like you." Luke shook his head, lifting his leg onto the fender Jesse was just standing on so he could roll up the bottom of his pant leg.

"Eh, a poser." Matty hit Luke's arm, getting his attention and making the two of them laugh at their shorter friend.

The hot air of Venice California dang up beads of sweat along the boys' foreheads, but they were used to it. It wasn't exactly fall yet so the temperature was still in the 90's. The fact that the boys were T-Birds and wore black leather jackets didn't help the heat either.

"You guys think I'm making this up?" Jesse asked, his thick greaser accent prominent and annoyed that the lie, he was in fact telling, wasn't getting through to his best pals. The three stood in the parking lot of Rydell High School, and Luke couldn't help himself as a group of freshman girls passed by, catching his eye and making him stumble as he bent over backwards for a better view.

"No, I don't think you're making it up, I said you're full of shit. They're two different things, but also... not really. Plus, everything I say is right." Matty shrugged, chewing on a piece of bubblegum obnoxiously as Luke recovered and sent a wink to the giggling girls. Jesse squinted his eyes at him and sent him a funny look.

"Okay, wise guy. I think you're off the stick." Jesse bit back. Matty frowned at him, letting a silence pass between the two before catching Jesse off-guard and roughing him in a head-lock. Jesse fought against Matty's strong arms, yelling "heys" and "get off mes."

"You think I'm off the stick now, huh? How's that feel, Jesse? Look at that, senior can't even take a junior—" Matty teased, rubbing his knuckles on Jesse's head and making the guy squirm under him.

"I hope you realize you're only a junior 'cus you were held back, scooch." Luke said casually, shoving his hands in his jean pockets and scouting out the rest of the students walking from the parking lot to the school entrance. The students walking in were much different then the three boys. Most were dressed nicely in checkered shirts or sweater vests, and the girls really loved long sundresses or jean skirts. It was not surprising the T-Bird greaser gang stuck out so much.

Matty let go of Jesse abruptly, causing the smaller guy to flail his arms so he didn't fall back. Jesse huffed and clenched his jaw, pulling his pants up and taking his jacket off. The early morning sun was getting too hot.

"You think you're some tough guy, huh, Matt?" Jesse tried, but Matt only laughed at him, threatening to get him again and making him flinch. Luke finally found the person he had been looking for and smacked his friends' chests.

"Hey, Jess you say it was Emelia right? The girl you boned at Craig's diner was Emelia Clarke?" Luke asked, and Jesse, hand rubbing his head where Matt had knuckled him, nodded. "How's about I ask her how it was. See if Jesse really is the stallion he claims to be. Hey Emelia," Luke called to the girl he had found, turning her head towards him curiously as she walked towards the school with her little friend group.