.07

Venice, California 1959

The drive was awkward. That was a fact.

Zayn and Lauren had passed out in the back seat while Y/N drove in silence, feeling Camila's eyes on her every once in a while. She held the steering wheel with one hand, rubbing her temple with her other while she drove.

It wasn't that Y/N and Camila didn't have anything to say to each other, it was just that they had no idea what to say. Over the summer, Y/N could've gone on and on, talking and talking for days on end because she felt so comfortable with the Cuban. But now, everything seemed tense and conversation topics found no way into her brain.

She felt Camila's eyes on her again, making her adjust her grip on the steering wheel. To break the silence, she reached forward and turned the radio on, taking a few seconds to tune it so the muffled voices and static noise turned into the song that was most ironic for the moment.

"Devil or angel, I can't make up my mind.
Which one you are, I'd like to wake up and find.
Devil or angel, dear whichever you are,
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you."

Y/N sat back in her seat and sighed, daring to look over and glance at Camila who had a small smile on her lips as she listened to the music. Her hand sat on top of her lap, while the other rested on the armrest in between her and Y/N.

Of course, Y/N hadn't noticed, and as she turned back to watch the road, she mindlessly went to rest her hand there. Her hand brushed the top of Camila's and both girls shot their hands away, looking at each other with wide eyes. With just that small touch they both felt themselves get hot. For Y/N, the warmth spread through her whole body, making her fingertips and toes tingle. For Camila, her cheeks heated up and turned a crimson.

Y/N gulped and sent Camila a little smile, having no idea where her confidence came from as she reached over and took her hand, before intertwining their fingers together. She brought Camila's cold knuckles up to her lips, touching them together before letting their locked hands fall back onto the armrest.

Camila hadn't noticed the need for her hand to be in Y/N's again until it was. It was like finding something you hadn't even remembered you'd lost.

Y/N turned into her neighborhood, driving down the empty street of Lake Blvd. She figured they would all just go back to her house, being that neither Lauren, Zayn or Camila had suggested anything. Thanks to her father's prestigious job, her house was not a small one, which meant she could let her friends crash in any of her various guest rooms.

She pulled up in front of her house, seeing all of the lights turned off, looking ominous as if the house had been abandoned for years. She wasn't surprised, not only because it was late and her parents wouldn't be awake anyway, but because she knew her father was on one of his regular business trips and her mother had been down in Cancun at their lake house for the past three months.

She was supposed to be back two weeks after she had left, and Y/N had to keep telling herself she was coming back, she was just delayed. Of course that hope lessened with the amount of words on each postcard her mom sent.

She parked in her driveway, killing the ignition before unbuckling her seatbelt. She looked back at the sleeping two, wondering how she was going to get them in the house. Maybe if she woke Zayn up he could carry Lauren in.

As reluctant as she was, she sent Camila a smile as she let go of her small hand.

"Who's house are we at?" Camila asked, intrigued as she leaned forward to get a good look at the huge house while her jaw dropped. Y/N scratched her neck nervously and chuckled, letting out a little huff.