.04

Rydell High School
Venice, California 1959

"Alright, thank you all for trying out! Results will be revealed at the Rydell Rangers pep rally tonight! Yay!" Ariana announced happily, clapping her hands together in her red and white cheerleader outfit. "Don't miss it, girls!"

Camila let out a shaky breath, exhausted from the workout she had just been through. She rested her hands on her knees and caught her breath as the other cheer girls that were trying out grouped together in whatever cliques they were in and got ready to leave.

Camila had a big advantage over many of these girls because she was highly flexible. Unfortunately, her low endurance got the best of her and she had a pretty hard time.

She walked over to where she had set her backpack down and picked it up, stretching her back to work out the burning ache. She closed her eyes and took long, deep breaths, cracking her neck.

She spotted her new friends sitting on the gym bleachers and smiled when Ally waved to her. Before going over to them, she walked over to the fold-up table that Ariana and two other girls, that were also cheer captains, stood chatting.

"Hey, Ariana—"

"Oh, Camila! Great job today, I think I can formally say you impressed us immensely." The shorter girl said while the other two nodded their heads. Camila smiled at them sheepishly. "Let me introduce you guys, this is Shay Mitchell, she's the captain of the JV cheer team," Ariana pointed to the pretty dark-haired girl who waved as she chewed on a piece of gum. "And this here is Lillie Reinhart, she's the assistant coach of Varsity." She gestured towards the blonde.

"It's nice to meet you guys. Ariana, I actually wanted to ask you something about the pep rally tonight."

"Of course, I'm all ears." The other two girls turned to themselves while Ariana gave her full attention to the Cuban.

"Well, you said the new cheerleaders would be announced at the rally... How does that work? Is there going to be a sheet with our names or...?" Camila trailed off, trying to think of something else but Ariana didn't need another example.

"No, actually Coach Pitt usually announces the boys that made the football team in front of the school, and then we do the cheerleaders. It's this huge, awesome thing where the girls get to accept their uniforms in front of the whole school. I look forward to it every year." Ariana answered happily, causing Camila's heart to plummet. She had never been good in front of a lot of people. She highly expected herself to trip or embarrass herself out of nervousness.

Ariana noticed Camila's lack of enthusiasm but read it as something else. She shook her head, rubbing the girl's arms,

"There's no need to worry, Cam—can I call you that?" Ariana stopped and Camila just shrugged. "Okay, Cam, there's no need to worry. From what I've seen, you have a very high chance of making the team. Maybe even varsity!"

Camila forced a fake smile, pretending that's what she was nervous about, when really Ariana had just made it worse. That meant Camila was probably going to have to get up in front of all of the Rydell students.

"Cabello!" Camila looked up towards her friends who sat on the bleachers all waiting for her. "Let's go! We gotta get ready for the rally!" Dinah yelled. Ariana waved goodbye to her before she made her way up to the four girls.

"I didn't know I would have to get up in front of everyone if I make the team." Camila voiced, groaning internally as the other girls stood up to leave.

"Can't handle a few students? Everybody besides us are losers, if that makes you feel any better." Normani said, checking herself in her pocket mirror before snapping it shut and sticking it in her purse.