.16

not proofread

11:38 am. Monday
Rydell High School
Venice, California 1959

Ariana chewed on the end of her pencil, staring at the wood of her school desk as she desperately tried to cling to Mr. Hussey's words. She had been really distracted for the past few days, and not only was it taking a toll on her grades, but it was taking a toll on her. She had been lightly breaking out across her cheeks, and she hated it. Her acne had always been one of her major insecurities, and now another one of her major insecurities was causing it.

Her eyes drifted over to where Zayn and Lauren sat. She watched them quietly flirted, throwing small pieces of paper at each other and giggling like schoolgirls. She sighed as she eyed Y/N's empty seat, imagining her kicked back with her feet up like she always was. She should be in class right now, but Ariana knew she was off doing whatever she was doing.

It hadn't been strange when Y/N didn't show up for class. In fact, Ariana found no harm in it. Y/N was known to skip quite a bit, she was usually off with Luke or Matty, painting train cars, or smoking by the quarry. That didn't worry Ariana one bit.

What worried her was the real reason Y/N was skipping. She had heard talk about the greaser, and about how she had found somebody to really tie her down. People said whoever this mystery girl was liked to spend time with Y/N behind the bleachers, messing around both inappropriately and mature.

This didn't just worry Ariana, this inflamed her. She was supposed to be that girl. She was supposed to be the one that Y/N was skipping class for, the one that she spent all of her time with. The one to eventually tie Y/N down with a diamond ring.

Whoever this mystery girl was, held hatred from Ariana to a degree that she didn't know was possible. She hadn't even met the girl.

The worst part of it was that people were starting to say that it was Camila.

Ariana had noticed that Y/N and Camila were spending a lot of time together. They would always come and leave school together, and outside of school, they were attached to the hip. But Ariana knew that Camila wouldn't do that to her. At many of their cheerleading sleepovers, Ariana had gone on for hours about her feelings for Y/N, with Camila's undivided attention. Besides, Camila wasn't the type to go behind her back. And she certainly wasn't the type to date someone like Y/N.

At least she hoped not.

She figured that Camila and Y/N were just close, like Y/N and Zayn.

But there was always a possiblity...

Ariana wasn't stupid, she knew the many facial expressions that Y/N had. Even the one that she wished Y/N would send her, the one that now that she thought about it, she would look at Camila with. It made Ariana's skin crawl as she thought about her 'friend' and Y/N together. She didn't want to believe it, but it was making sense.

Y/N was different when she had gotten back from Miami, and Ariana had heard about her finding someone in Miami. Camila had moved here from Miami.

Was Camila the mystery girl?

She felt her cheeks warm up as she realized that Lauren and Zayn had turned to her, noticing her excessive staring. Their eyebrows furrowed in disgust, but Ariana just shook it off. Some people were just bitter.

"Grande!" Ariana heard her name yelled and jumped in her seat, looking over at Mr. Hussey who was at the chalkboard, mid-writing notes down about whatever ancient civilization they were studying at the moment. "Eyes up here." He ordered, pointing to himself as the rest of the class looked back at the embarrassed girl.