.14

10:29 pm, Saturday
The Y/LN Residence
Venice, California 1959

A month had passed by and there was still no sign of Noah Y/LN. Y/N could see her mother's distraught ness grow every day. She knew just how much her mom loved her father, and the first few days she was home, she could see just how excited she was. Her father was supposed to come home a week after her mom had come home, and her mom made sure the whole town knew about it. But as each day passed, her father continued to stay away. Along with her mother's anxiety, rumors around the town started to bloom, accusing her father of absurd things like being involved in some scandal, or becoming a member of the mob. One woman even went so far as to claim she had seen Noah in New York, while she was on vacation there, with his mistress and her pregnant stomach.

Y/N was bothered by the fact that she noticed the sadness in her mom's eyes, and the depressed aura that followed her everywhere she went. It bothered Y/N because she had started to feel sympathy for her. She hated the tears that appeared across the kitchen counter after her mom had just been in there, and the way the liquor cabinet slowly started emptying itself, a bottle of wine a night. Y/N's compassion was eating away at her. The grudge she held against her mom was wilting away and pulsing in colors of red and maroon for the man that was putting her through this.

As Y/N sat in her room, hearing the muffled sound of her mother's cries through the wall, she put away her pride and stood up. She knew just how much this was taking a toll on her vulnerable mom and figured even though they weren't on good terms right now, they were still family. Her mother needed her, and she wanted to show her the love she had never gotten.

She slowly opened her door and stepped out, the moonlight seeping through the hallway window illuminating her tired face. The hardwood floor creaked with each step she took towards her parents' room. She took a deep breath as she neared the door and stared at it. It was taking everything in her to ignore the temptation to turn around and go back to her own room, but she knew that her father's absence didn't only affect herself.

She lightly knocked on the door, hearing the quiet sniffles coming from inside stop as she turned the doorknob and opened the door. Inside the room was almost pitch black, the only light was coming from behind the dark grey blinds. She could make out her mother's figure, lying on the bed alone.

She reached over and turned the light on, exposing her broken mother and her tear-stained cheeks. Allie quickly tried to wipe at them and sat up, looking down so she wouldn't have to look into Y/N's pity-filled eyes.

Y/N slowly walked over to her bed and sat down next to her mom, holding her hands nervously in her lap. The pearls hanging around her mother's neck glistened under the synthetic light and caught her attention. She remembered when her father had given her those, she was just a little kid and she didn't think she would see them ever again.

Her mother let out a breath and leaned over, placing her head on Y/N's shoulder. Y/N's breath hitched and she sat rigidly. Her mother hadn't shown natural affection when it was just the two of them in forever. The only time she would remember her mother touching her was when other people were around. She clenched her jaw and closed her eyes.

"I miss him," Allie whispered, her voice shaky from the recent crying and her nose stuffed. "God, I miss him so much." Y/N's mind went to her father, the eery feeling of abandonment coming over her. She had never let it affect her before, pushing away the aching emptiness inside of her. But seeing her mother in such a fragile state weakened her immunity and she was finally able to feel the pain.

"I should've never let him go," Allie continued as Y/N's eyebrows furrowed. "I should've fought them, I should've locked him in his room so they couldn't take him from me."