Chapter 1

I sighed as I sat down my hammer. I ran a calloused hand through my hair and sighed. I looked at my small shop, saw the various weapons I enjoyed making. None of them have sold in a while. The axe I was working on was for one of the few rich men our village had. He wanted to supply his workers with new axes to chop the wood with so they could have plenty of fires in his home this winter.

I rolled my eyes, must be nice not to kiss death on it's sweet cold lips every winter. My tiny cabin was nearly collapsing, probably might fall this winter. It didn't keep me warm, but it kept me dry, most of the time. It had leaks but I managed to fix them until another comes. My parents had kicked me out when I became sixteen. They favored my sister who married one of the richest men in the village. I wasn't a proper lady and all of my mother's lessons on etiquette were lost on me. I at least took advantage of her teaching me how to read. I could count on one hand how many women in my village could do that. They feel it's useless to teach the poverty how to read, feel the skill would be waisted on them.

Suddenly the door of my shop opened. There stood the King of our village with several men. "Raven Dorin, you've been chosen as this centuries' sacrifice for the Blood Moon." The King declared. My eyes widened in fear. The Blood Moon was when the moon would turn red and every village would have to choose their most beautiful woman who wasn't married and drop them off at the border of the Demon Kingdom. It was started several centuries ago after the war. The demon king had made the Kings sign the treaty if they wanted to keep their lands. They did so without hesitation.

I snatched up a sword. My sword skills were almost non-existent, but the important part was that it's sharp. I swung it at the first who got to close. Suddenly my back door opened and I was grabbed from behind, dropping the sword. I thrashed and screamed, probably seeming like a mad woman. Something hit me in the side of the head, knocking me out.

When I woke up, I wore a thin white gown, my hands cuffed and chained behind my back. My hair was loose, and hung around me in soft curls. The ground was cold under my bare feet. I  was stuck on my knees no where to go. My village betrayed me. If I went back, they would kill me for damning them. They deserved it, but I don't deserve this. I heard the sound of wings, and looked up. What looked like a man landed in front of me. The large black leathery wings and eyes of gold told me he wasn't a man.

"What is your name?" He asked me. His voice was deep yet soft. I had expected more of a growl. I just stared at him, refusing to speak. What did it matter if he was going to kill me anyways? He nodded, "I'm Azia, King of the Demons." Azia? It was beautiful, like he was. I wasn't going to tell him that. He came to stand behind me, and suddenly my chains were gone.

"You have a choice, you can go back to your village or you can come with me. If you come with me, no harm will come to you. If you go back home, I can not promise your safety." He told me. I looked over my shoulder in the direction of my village. My cabin and shop have most likely already been raided and my money gone. I looked back at him, and saw his hand was stretched out. I was hesitant as I took it.

He smiled and scooped me up into his arms before leaping into the sky. I let out a scream of surprise, wrapping my arms around his neck. He let out a chuckle as his large wings caught the wind. He flew in the direction of the Kingdom. Once they flew over the border I felt a weird wave of dizziness hit me. When I opened my eyes again I couldn't believe the sight.

I had always imagined the Demon Kingdom a place of darkness and cruelty. Instead it was clean and beautiful. The buildings were made of different colored stones, the roads were white, no one was on the side of the road begging for money. The air was clean and didn't smell like piss and smoke. Music played, many talked and shopped. It was so different than I thought. I thought I had even seen a few humans walking around and laughing in the mix of the town as we flew above.