Chapter 2

The palace was a labrith, and I was only on the first floor. My feet took me to a large training field. My eyes went to the weapons and I admired the beauty of them. The blacksmith who put so much time and work into it had clearly loved what they did.

"Can I help you ma'am?" A voice asked, making me jump. I turned and saw a man in a guard uniform. "Oh, I was just admiring the weapons." I told him. "Plan on killing us?" He asked, humor in his obsidian eyes. "Please, these would be to heavy for me to wield. Besides I only make them, I don't know how to use them." "I've never met a female blacksmith." He said. I thought he was going to say a human one. Surprises around every corner it seems. "Well then consider me a rarity." I said.

He nodded, "Will you be continuing your craft now that you live here?" To be honest, I didn't know. I would like to, but I didn't know if it would be possible. "I'm not sure." I told him. He nodded, "If you do, make yourself a sword that you could easily world and I'll teach you how to use it." I nodded, "I'll consider it." I then left the training field to continue my exploration.

"I'm glad to see you aren't locking yourself in your room." A silky voice said. I whirled around and saw King Azia. "It's rude to sneak up on others." I told him. He bowed his head, "My apologies." I studied him. Now that we were in proper lighting I could see the detail of his wings. Crimson horns we're on the top, and they had scars of various sizes. My eyes went back to him and I could see he was looking at me as I was looking at him.

"How are you enjoying your stay so far?" He asked me. I shrugged, "I haven't been here long. I'll let you know after a week." He nodded, "If you ever want or need anything, let Yinsy know."

I nodded and the next thing I know, he's gone. What a strange King. I shook my head and sighed. Feeling tired, I began to retrace my steps back to my room. I opened the door to my room and I was shocked to see my old bag. It was in a sorry state, the fabric frayed and worn, the leather strap about to snap. I opened it, and inside was the first knife I ever made myself, my sharpening and polish kit, my journal filled with notes, tips, and tricks on my skill, and the only piece of jewelry I ever owned and cherished. It was a silver ring, nothing engraved on it, nothing special about it. I cherished it because my grandmother had given it to me when she passed. I slipped it on the middle finger of my right hand. I never wore it much because as a blacksmith, it would get damaged. I couldn't afford a chain to wear it around my neck, so I put it away.

My bedroom door opened and Yinsy came in with some clothes for me to sleep in. "He would've brought more but many of your things were in poor condition." She told me. "He who?" I asked confused. "The King of course. He's the only one who has the ability to cross the border." That explained why no one had seen a demon in so long. "The border isn't a prison if that's what you think. Demons prefer our land, and humans looking for a safe place to call home are able to cross over." She quickly told me. "How come humans can cross but not demons?" I asked her. It seemed odd. "It was part of the treaty." She explained. "When the war first ended many were angry at losing their human slaves. The wall was to prevent them from hunting down the humans they claimed as theirs." I nodded in understanding then looked back at my things.

"Why did he bother with getting these for me?" I asked her softly. "Because these can't be replaced. The King has many special abilities few have. One of those abilities let's him see how much a person cared about an object. The feelings we have when we get something or find something lingers forever with that object." I wondered what other abilities the King had.

She left and I got ready for bed. The sleepware concealed yet exposed me. The top had thin straps that kept it on but it stopped above my belly button. The bottoms went to my ankles but the material of the clothing was a rich silk that made me feel as if I wasn't wearing anything. I didn't have much choice since I didn't have anything more to wear for now. I crawled into the large plush bed. Sleep took me as soon as my head hit the pillow.