18: White Knight

⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING ⚠️

Sugawara's POV

The moon was fully risen now. It was around 1am, and Y/N was sleeping peacefully in the passenger side of my car. She had already finished my mother's Jasmine tea, and was comfortably cuddled up in a blanket, her (h/c) hair swept over her eyes.

My mind drifted to the past, at age 17 when I was at Daichi's stupid house party. I promised Aria it would be fun, and that we would never forget that night for the rest of our lives.

That was until I caught her making out with Asahi in the corner of the room. I was completely drunk, and barely remember what happened. Daichi told me I began to scream at her, shouting horrible things that I will never repeat in my entire life. I remember running off with the next girl I could find, Yui; then breaking up with her after a few months of on-and-off hookups. I told myself I'd never love again, and that I didn't deserve to feel happy. But then I met Y/N.

She was the first girl in a long time that made me want to smile again, that made me feel like there was someone out there to live for. I knew she was like Aria in some ways, when it came to panic attacks or things like that, but I didn't see her as another Aria, because I told myself I was a new person now.

Thoughts of how Y/N wept in my arms filled my head. It broke me to think of her like that. I had spent weeks trying to make her happy, and more confident when it came to things like Volleyball, but Noya obviously has a different motive.

My knuckles whitened on the steering wheel. "Fuck it." I mumbled.

I skid the car to a stop, outside Y/N's apartment. I reached over and kissed Y/N's forehead, before getting out of the car and making my way over to her apartment. I flung the door open with a yell. "YŪ NISHINOYA." I called. I heard the faint footsteps of his feet collapsing down the stairs.

Nishinoya greeted me with a malicious grin. "Well well.." He purred, leaning up against the stairwell with his arms folded. "If it isn't the white knight." He was holding a glass of scotch in one hand, gulping it down in one. He was obviously drunk. It was quite hilarious actually, seeing someone of his height and strength acting so tough. But I knew he was not to be underestimated.

"I know what you're playing at." I folded my arms, narrowing my eyes in suspicion. "This stupid game of yours, trying to make Y/N fall in love with you."

He smirked, placing the now-empty scotch glass on the floor beside him. He took a few steps forward, meeting my eyes with a malicious glare.

"You're right, white knight." He purred, casually fixing his hair in the hallway mirror. "This is a game. A game that I'm winning. You see, eventually Y/N is going to love me, and my saddening story. A young teen with parental issues, craving the love of his childhood best friend." He mocked, turning to face me yet again. "It's my game. I get to see how the story pans out. You think I actually care about her? Or who she 'loves?!' Pft. Pathetic."

Nishinoya's obvious plan to get me annoyed was working. I lunged forward, pushing him roughly against the wall. "Stay away from her, Yū. Or I swear to god you'll regret it." He merely pushed me off him with a chuckle. "You don't understand, Kōushi Sugawara. This was going to work. My faux little plan of sympathy was going to get her to fall right into my hands." His voice was quavering with anger, his knuckles now white as he clenched his fists by his sides. "But you ruined it."

He yelled at me, lunging forward and knocking me to the ground with a smirk. "None if it's been real, Sugawara. My parents, they're happily married together off somewhere in Florida. Our friendship, was merely a scheme to get closer to Y/N. Who do you think sent those stupid threats to get you to stay away from her?" He leant in and whispered softly. "Y/N means nothing to me anymore. I could kill her if I wanted to. All she was to me was a little doll to dress and play with when I wanted to."

"N-Noya?"

The room fell silent. Both of our heads turned to where Y/N stood by the door, my blanket was around her shoulders, keeping her from the November cold.

"Get out of my house."