22: Beginnings and Endings

"No thanks."

"What the hell do you mean?!" Yui whisper-shouted. She had already grabbed Kōushi over beside us to hear what was going on. "You said it yourself, you need the qualifications for Jale. Not to mention the amount of work you and Kōushi put into practicing! It would be stupid to throw all that away now!"

"Jale can shove it. I'm tired of having my life mapped out for me. I'm taking a gap year to figure things out, then I might even move onto community collage or something. I don't know. That's the amazing thing about it, Yui. I don't know." I couldn't help but smile as I spoke. Kōushi took my hand with a nod and spoke softly. "It's your choice, Y/N. I believe in you. You can make the right decisions. And Yui, Listen." He took a step forward, still holding my hand. "She can do what she pleases, if she wanted to be apart of the team, she would of accepted your offer. So for the love of God don't make a big deal out of it."

Yui sighed, holding a hand up to her temple in frustration. "Alright alright. Listen Y/N, I don't know what your planning for your future, but please be careful. You could be missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime." She groaned loudly. I chuckled, running a hand through my (long/short) (h/c) hair. "I know, Yui. But I've thought about it a lot and..." I smiled up at Kōushi, wrapping my arm around his waist. "I'm happy the way I am, Yui."

The conversation ended quickly and next thing I knew I was back in Kōushi's car, driving to the forest. He packed a small picnic to go and visit Shimi.

We reached the forest in a short amount of time, and were happily chowing down on sandwiches when I heard the faint rustling of the bushes.

A baby fawn staggered out, being gently guided by none other than Shimi herself. I gasped in shock, elbowing Kōushi softly. "Look." I whispered, as the fawn stumbled closer to the lake. Shimi followed politely, making sure the baby fawn doesn't fall into the water.

The sunset hit the water perfectly, and Kōushi wrapped his arm around me, pulling me closer.

"I promised you I would keep you safe from the world, but now I know that you have the heart of a lion, and the soul of an eagle, I feel like you don't need protected anymore." He whispered, taking my right hand in his.
"But I'm scared, Kōushi." I whispered. "That's okay, you just need to learn how to be happy, and move past the negatives."

"Then teach me, Kōushi."