O5

Jaelen

Irritated and slightly pissed off, Jaelen proceeded to depart from the bus stop to the entrance of the school.

Last night she couldn’t get any sleep thanks to her mother’s yelling. They had gotten into another argument thanks to her spoiled brother.

Yesterday, Jaelen came home to find most of the house trashed. This included the kitchen, living room, her brother’s room, and a piece of her room.

Yesterday was already a bad day for Jaelen, so she told her brother to clean his mess up. Usually she would have to do it, but she was tired of cleaning up after someone who was almost grown. He’s 15 and still trashes the house like he’s six.

Being a typical asshole, her brother argued her down about how he was a “man”. She shook it off as she took the baby upstairs to get it and herself settled.

Coming into her room, she noticed that it was trashed more than usual. It seemed as if he went through her space looking for something.

Rushing down the stairs, Jaelen found her brother laid out on the couch. She confronted him, knowing that he took the money she had been saving for college. She knew her mother couldn’t afford and would to pay for her to go to college, so she took it upon herself to have backup money just incase she didn’t get any scholarships.

Due to her brother’s lying, Jaelen searched him causing him to become irritable. He swung on her which caused her to show him that she ain’t the one to fuck with. She found her money right as her mother opened the door.

Instead of listening to Jaelen, she slapped her across the face. Jaelen learned to keep her composure, so that slap didn’t even move her. Neither did her brother swinging on her. Seeing that he had two black eyes and a busted lip, she felt even. She was just tired of her mother choosing her brother over her. What’s so special about him that she didn’t see in her?

Mumbling to herself, she quickly made it passed the metal detectors and to her locker. Upon opening it a white piece of folded paper fell out.

"Here we are again, the same way we first met." Brandon said as he picked up the paper and handed it to Jaelen.

"You spelled my name wrong. J-A-E-L-E-N." She said as she put the note in her purse. It’s early in the morning and Brandon’s already getting on her nerves.

Adrianne wasn’t in first period and neither was Jeremy. That left Jaelen all by herself.

She looked across the room to see Brandon staring at her.

"What?" She mouthed to him.

"Are you gonna read the note or nah?" he mouthed making a silly face as if he was Reggie Couz.

"Alright class. Move around and sit with your partners. I need to evaluate your baby." Mr. Combs said as kids started moving around. By the time Jaelen got up to move, Brandon was already sitting next to her with a goofy smile on his face.

"Where’s the baby?" Jaelen asked as she searched around.

"You had him. I left him with you after practice." Brandon said growing serious.

Jaelen recalled all the events that happened yesterday.

"I think I left the baby at home." Jaelen stated worriedly.

"Don’t worry about it. I got it. You just read the letter." Brandon said as he laid back into his chair.

"What is so important about this note?" She asked

"Just read it."

"No!" She semi yelled

"Where is your baby?" Mr. Combs asked as he came to the table.

"Read the note or we fail." Brandon playfully whispered.

"Fine!" Jaelen whispered back.

"I left him at home, sir. I just texted my mama and she’s got him." He said reassuringly.

"I’ll let it go this time. Just because I know how important grades are for Miss Jackson." Mr. Combs said as he walked away.

Jaelen is a woman of her word. She pulled the note from out of her purse and opened it.

"I’m writing you this letter. No text, no email, something real. Something you can feel.

You like how I did that? I grabbed your attention just by writing down this song I’m writing. Lol!

Nah, but forreal. I’m sorry for going off on you yesterday. You did deserve it though. I’ve been nothing but nice to you. Do you know that most dudes in here don’t even look at the baby? The girl does all the work. I could be like that but it wouldn’t be fair.

I understand you have a lot to do, but so do I. I have to maintain my grades, while keeping up with football, rehearsals, photo shoots, concerts, and studio time.

Can we just be cool? At least for the sake of the project and little Isaiah.”

Jaelen closed the letter and looked up to see Brandon still smiling at her.

"We cool?" He said sounding like Malistglr.

"I guess we can be." Jaelen said as silence paraded them.

"So you named our son Isaiah?" Jaelen asked.

"Yeah, I want my son to be named that one day." He stated proudly.

Jaelen chuckled as she went back to paying attention to class. After a while she felt a pair of eyes staring at her and she turned to see Brandon with his mouth agape.

"What?" Jaelen asked.

"You actually smiled. I thought Jesus would’ve came back by the time you would’ve smiled at me." He joked as I laughed.

After a while of sitting and chatting, the bell rang letting them know that class was over.

Collecting her things, Jaelen put everything in her purse and made her way out the room.

"Wait up." Brandon said as he caught up with her.

"I got another letter." He said handing Jaelen another piece of paper.

"I was wondering if you, Isaiah, and I could go out this weekend?"

"I don’t think I wanna go out with someone who can’t ask me verbally." Jaelen said playfully.

"Fine… Do you wanna go out this weekend? Me, you, and Isaiah could go out for ice cream or to the park or something." He said as Jaelen chuckled.

"Sure." Jaelen answered as Brandon walked away smiling.

All she has to do now is hope that neither her mother or her brother messes this up for her.