Chapter VIII

Elena was looking out of her bedroom's window, holding the Scepter of Light in her hands.
She was immersed in her thoughts.
She knew she would have to deal with that evil witch again.
She was ready to do it, for her family and her kingdom.
Suddenly she heard a noise and whirled around. She didn't see anyone. She looked around cautiously and felt a presence behind her... It was Shuriki, she was more than sure.

"Blaze!" she exclaimed turning and throwing a flash of light with her scepter.

The sorceress avoided the blow and answered with a tremendous arrow that almost hit Elena.
"Hi Elena, I'm back..."
"This time you won't run away".
They continued to fight by casting spells and flashes of lightning.

"Stay away from her!" Gabe burst into the room with his sword in his hand.
"Do you really think you can stop me with that toy?" Shuriki grinned with her wicked laugh and throwing lightning at him.
Gabe promptly avoided it but... Shuriki hit him with another flash and threw him to the ground!!! His arm began to bleed.
"Gabe!" Elena cried, running towards him.
"Don't worry for me, it's nothing... Be careful!".
Shuriki was about to attack again but Gabe managed to get up, grabbed his sword and gave a sharp blow on her wand, breaking it.
"Oh no!! My wand!" Shuriki exclaimed wide-eyed.
"This time you got away with it... But soon I'll make you pay!"
She shouted before disappearing into a dark cloud.
Her cry echoed gloomily.

"Oh, Gabe! Are you ok?" Elena asked very worried.
"Yes"
"Show me the wound" she said pulling up his sleeve.
"Ouch!"
"Oh, sorry! Does it hurts a lot?"
"Not so much...". Gabe always hid his suffering.
"You don't know how sorry I am. Thanks, for everything"
"I just did my duty" he replied smiling.
"You must be medicated right away but I don't want to leave you alone..."
"Go well, everything will be fine".
Elena smiled at him and ran out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A month later...

(Don't worry, Gabe got back on track)

Shuriki brushed the violet opal on the top of the Scepter of the Night with her fingers. It was made by the wizard Alacazar, Mateo's grandfather.
She had managed to take possession of it.
"Soon Avalor will be mine...
Now that you've taught me how to use this scepter, I'm unstoppable"
"Of course, but you must still pay attention" Fiero said.
"Oh, I don't need your warnings! Now follow me, I have to explain to you the most important part of my plan".
So Shuriki and Fiero left their haunt.

Victor and Carla stood there admiring their tamboritas and their new clothes.
"Oh, Carla, now we are malvagos! We can do all the spells we learned!"
"I can't believe, dad!"
"The power of dark magic is in our hands and we can have our revenge...".
While he was still talking, his gaze rested on the scepter of the night.
"Dad? It's all ok?" Carla asked puzzled.
"Maybe our power could increase even more..." he whispered approaching the scepter and taking it in his hands.
"I don't think it's a good idea..."
"Who forbids us to try it?".
So he tried to make some spells, but nothing happened.
"How do you use this contraption??".
Victor waved it in the air but too hard and... The opal broke away, ended outside the window and fell into the river.
"Oh no..." Carla said.
"What are you waiting for? Take it!" Victor exclaimed.
"But how!"
"Do a spell!".
The two saw the stone move away more and more, carried away by the current.
"Do it soon!!!"
"I'm trying!!!!"
"Oh incapable, leave it to me!".
But it was too late... the stone had disappeared from their sight.
"No...no...no...NO!!!! Shuriki will kill us!!!!! We are doomed!!" Victor said shaking his daughter in panic.
"What's going on here?".
They turned.
"Oh, Shuriki... eh eh... Let us explain..."
"My scepter! Where is the stone?" She said, approaching Victor threateningly.
"Oh... the stone? Oh... ehm... a bunch of hungry wolves attacked us! They were tens... Indeed hundreds!! We have killed half of it but..."
"Just stupid! Tell me where the stone is!"
"Oh... ehm ehm... it's accidentally... fell into... the river"
"WHAT???" Shuriki shouted furious. Her eyes flashed with rage.
"You're just two idiots!!!! I should disintegrate you instantly!!!!"
"Don't panic, Shuriki" Fiero said.
"Don't panic? DON'T PANIC? Because of those two irresponsible my plan is ruined!!"
"We can replace that stone with something much better...".
Shuriki smiled wickedly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kitamos had taught Elena all the spells of the Scepter of Light.
"Now you are ready to defeat Shuriki, but the flames spoke to me again" the soothsayer told her.

"Tell me as well" Elena said

"There is a very powerful stone placed on the top of a hill in the heart of Avalor, called "Stone of Darkness". If it ends up in the wrong hands, it can become very dangerous. Shuriki has discovered its existence, you have to stop her before she takes it"
"Thank you, Kitamos. I will do it. Do you have to tell me something else?"
"Oh...yes. Something will happen that will change your life"
"What will happen?"
"Unfortunately I can not tell you. You have to find out for yourself..."