27 - and hide

CHARLOTTE

Brad ended up taking me to his house, letting me know I could use a shirt of his for bed as we pull into his driveway. I look over at him nervously as he quickly got out of the car and slammed it shut. We hadn't really spoken throughout the journey home and I didn't know how he was feeling. Was he still angry at his father? Probably.

I follow him up to his which he unlocks and leaves it ajar for me as he steps in and goes straight to the kitchen. I wanted to ask him if he's okay but I keep my mouth shut as I close the door behind me, aware that he most definitely isn't.

I take off my shoes and put them by the side, slowly walking into the kitchen as he finds something in his cupboards. When he notices my presence, he turns around with a packet of mac and cheese in his hands.

"I thought you might want to eat since you didn't at the dinner," he shrugs as he throws the packet on the kitchen counter and sighs. His palms were against the edge of the counter as he leans against it, his arms outstretched and his head was looking down.

"I can just order pizza," I suggest but he doesn't answer. Was he still annoyed at me? My eyes glance up to the clock. It was late, almost midnight. Had we really been there that long? "Actually, I'm gonna go to bed."

I pause before I leave, waiting for him to say something but doesn't say anything so I turn on my heels and make a beeline for his en suite bathroom. I wash my face and strip out of my clothes, now only in my bra and pants before stepping into his room and seeing a shirt now laying on his bed and I notice it's an Arctic Monkeys one.

I pick it up and pull it over my head, letting it fall to my thighs and I sit on the edge of the bed with a sigh.

Today hadn't gone exactly how I wanted, really. I wanted to give a good impression on his parents and that he would have a good time and hopefully get along with his parents. I was looking forward to hearing from his mother a bunch of embarrassing stories about when he was younger and maybe his sister could tell me some too. I didn't expect it turn into a mini shit show.

I felt embarrassed, like I had caused this. I shouldn't have made Brad say after he said he wanted to leave multiple times. My heart and head felt heavy because this could've been avoided if I had just left with Brad as soon as he felt like leaving.

The door creaks open and Brad's head peers around the corner. When he sees me sat on the bed he steps in his room and closes the door.

"I was just feeding Jesse. I thought you might like some privacy while you changed."

I look up at him, giving him a nod accompanied with a small smile. His bow tie was loose around his collar and a few of his buttons were separated, his hair messy from the amount of times he'd ran his hand through it.

"I'm sorry," I say, watching him stride over to the bed and sit next to me. "I shouldn't have made you stay tonight. We could've avoided everything."

"Even if we left, my dad would've argued with me," he counters. "You better not be blaming yourself still."

"I just feel bad, I put you in an uncomfortable situation."

He places a hand on my thigh, rubbing his thumb up and down. It didn't feel suggestive, but calming.

"This isn't your fault," he affirms. "Don't blame yourself. I'm sorry. For snapping at you and for talking about you to my dad like that, I didn't think he'd use it against me. I just wanted him off my back, you know?"

He inhales deeply before continuing.

"I honestly had no clue how tonight would go. Maybe I was optimistic for thinking that my dad would be nice for once instead of provocative," he pauses, as though contemplating what to say next. "Can I tell you something and you promise not to judge me?"