Chapter 25 Battle of the Bands

Time skip

Time skip
...
"Be CAREFUL with that," Pidge wailed at the stagehands as they unloaded his synth from the back of Hunk's van. They were parked behind the brick theater, obscured from attendees who were already lining the entrance of the building two hours before the show started. Apparently, the pit was 'first come, first serve', so people camped out by the empty stage to guarantee front row spots. Keith wondered if the crowd would like Voltron. He hoped so, especially with the risk they were taking with their last song. They had three songs prepared in their set time of 12 minutes, so they had trimmed each down to four minutes max. Pidge has guaranteed them the last spot, the last band to play, which was actually pretty exciting.

Lance and Allura were with them, staging as 'groupies' but they'd sneak down into the pit when Voltron played to watch them perform instead of waiting backstage. Pidge's brother, Matt, was also present, and, with his tech-genius-like brain similar to Pidge's, he'd be manning the lights and sound for Voltron. Matt was grungy in a chill way with long-ish brown hair and eyes like Pidge's. He and Shiro got along well; they had been friends in high school. Keith kind of got the vibe that Matt liked Shiro, but that idea was disproven when Matt immediately started flirting with Allura. Keith shook his head in skeptical amusement as Shiro playfully threatened to lacerate Matt's genitalia if he made another pass at Allura. Five minutes later, they were laughing and joking like nothing had happened.

Shiro hopped down from the trunk of the van, holding a bundle of wires. "These are the last of them, Hunk!" He called, then shut the trunk door and Hunk, driving the van, moseyed into the parking lot. Voltron (and guests) headed into the theater through the back door. Immediately, they were swept into a whirl of people.

"2 hours to show!" Someone shouted as the group followed the stagehands deeper into the cave of the backstage. It was dark, but black lights and desk lamps shone on the walls. Keith noticed a few bare lightbulbs dangling high above them, hanging from single wires as they shone yellow-tinged light down. They passed a heavy metal band and Keith gulped. The bassist looked like he could break Shiro in half without flinching, and the dense black tattoos and spiked Mohawk hair didn't help. Shiro, however, looked confident. He wore a sensible t-shirt and jeans, but his eyes were sharp, alert. Keith stepped closer to Lance when a group of giggling girls passed, blowing kisses at Voltron. Lance winked at them, but then held up Keith and his hands, intertwined, and mock-pouted. Sorry babes, taken. Keith wanted to roll his eyes.

All around them, groups huddled. Keith recognized some of their styles as emo, punk, but most were modern, bo-ho styles that Keith could only assume belonged to indie bands. Voltron wasn't indie. It seemed like everyone was doing something, everyone was busy. Keith spotted a group of people working together to restring their guitars, and it was obvious from their clothes- there was a large man in a leather jacket and spiked collar, a girl in a long flannel cardigan and thigh-high black combat boots, and another girl, younger, in a pastel dress with a giant flower crown woven into her hair- that they were from different bands. Keith liked that about music. It kind of didn't matter how fucked up or weird you were, if you had a broken string, someone would be there with wire cutters and a tuner.