Chapter 13

Brandon's P.O.V.

I guess I didn't want to tell Lily that I hang out by myself in the corner of a hall. Plus, there would be my medication problem. All my friends back home knew that I took meds and stuff, but I don't want to explain it to Lily. I'm already on good terms with her, and I don't want her to think that I'm some kind of weirdo. I have a lot of thinking to do by myself either way. Lacrosse is offered in this school. I could join. I could go back to having my normal life again. Well, as normal as it could ever get.

I reach my corner. I guess I could call it mine. No one else was there when I came across it yesterday, and no one is here today. So it's mine. I sit down, and the first thing I do is put on my music. From Ritz to Rubble by the Arctic Monkeys. Then I swallow my food without tasting it. I haven't had much of an appetite for a few weeks. I take out my medication and swallow both pills at the same time. I've swallowed three pills at once before, so this is nothing.

I go back to lacrosse. I could join. I should join, but I don't know if I'm ready for that. I know my dad would get super happy if I told him about joining the team. I love that you're moving on son, going back to how things were. No Dad, I'm not moving on, I'm just going back to "normalcy." I just know, I know, that if I join lacrosse, what I've been trying to forget for the past two weeks will come rushing back to me. I slam my forehead with both of my hands. I look up at the ceiling. Why can't life be easy? For others joining a sport would be like joining a class, for me it's like joining a new school. Wow what a coincidence! I'm going through that right now.

See other children just fill out paperwork, get a doctor's physical, some signatures, and boom. Ya done. But me. It's paperwork, a doctor's physical, signatures, more paperwork, debates on how I would react on the field with my disorder, tests from my doctors. The list probably keeps on going. I don't know, I was young when this happened to me. I get up and collect my stuff. I decide to go on a walk around the school. I realize I haven't fully seen this school. While exiting the hall, I see that there are a bunch of flyers taped to the hall doors.

Vote Stacy as Homecoming Queen. She's a beauty.

Chess Club every Tuesday in Room 34.

Sign up for the American Red Cross Blood Drive.

I start walking away, but this neon green flyer catches my attention.

Lacrosse Try Outs on the football field. 3:30-5:30. October 12-14. If you're a girl or guy interested in lacrosse, you can't miss this. Please bring an emergency card, lacrosse stick and pads, and plenty of water.

October 12 huh? I look at my phone and see that it's October 11. These try outs are tomorrow, and I don't even know if I want to join or not. I rush back into my corner and slump down on the floor. Should I join? Even if I did, I don't have the gear. I threw it all away back in New York. I take out my wallet. I have three twenty dollar bills. Just in case you want to hang out with your friends kid. I see my Debit card. I can't have more than ten dollars in it. And then I do something that not even I saw coming. I call my dad.

"Hello son? Is everything okay? Have you taken your medication?" he asks worried.

"Dad. I'm fine. Everything's okay. And yes I did sir. Okay look dad...so, so, there are lacrosse try outs tomorrow.."

"Lacrosse? Son you're not saying..."

"Yeah I am. Thing is that I threw away all my gear back home."

"That's right. In your act of desperation and anger, you threw everything away. Okay well you have your debit card right?"

"Yes sir."

"Okay I'm going to the bank right now and putting two hundred dollars in your card. Have fun after school today son. Buy the best of the best, and if you need more, don't hesitate to call me okay? Bye son."

"Dad thanks so much. Bye. I won't let you down."

I have never wanted school to end so much like I do right now. Lacrosse was my life back home, and no matter what, I intend to make it my life here, in my new home.

Who's your favorite character so far? Mine is Brandon. Comment yours! And don't forget to vote. thanksss