Chapter 12

Lily's P.O.V.

I enter AP Chem, early as usual. I sit down on my seat, placing my backpack and sports bag on the empty desk in front of me. I slouch and stare at the board. Why did I take this class? God why? I barely have a 'B.' Not the 'A' I was expecting. I feel a tap on my left shoulder, and I quickly turn around. It's Brandon. I'm about to ask him what he wants, but he beats me to it.

"Hey Lily look I'm really sorry about yesterday. I just...I just. I'm sorry. You weren't giving me pity; I was just giving you sass like the asshole I am," he sincerely apologizes. I'm just staring at this guy like oh my gosh, are you mentally okay? But his face, oh I have never seen someone be so sincere, and although I really don't want to, I find myself accepting his apology.

"Brandon, it's fine," I say. I'm about to add how it must be really stressful moving to a new state, but I have quickly learned to watch my tongue around this guy. He would probably say something like, "You don't know anything about my life, so just leave me alone."

"Thanks. I literally have felt like an asshole for the past twenty four hours. Ohh Lily by the way, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, do you get what Mr. Smith is teaching right now? This whole acid and base thing is pretty confusing," he asks. Well that escalated quickly. One day we're enemies, I guess, and the next day I'm his tutor.

"Uhh..kind of. I mean I don't really get it that much, but I can help you with what I know for sure," I compromise.

"Thanks Lily. I hope we're on a clean slate," he smiles. I can't help but stare. He has this Hollywood smile, it's crazy. His teeth are white as pearls and straight like a ruler.

"So if you don't mind me asking, Brandon," I slowly enunciate his name, like if I'm afraid of pronouncing this common name of his wrong, "how was your first day of school yesterday? I'm sure apart from that little fight we had yesterday, you made new friends."

"Actually, no I did not. You were the only person brave enough to approach the new kid in need," he says sadly. I feel a little bad for Brandon. He left all of his friends in New York and still hasn't managed to get a new friend here.

"Well you have a friend now Brandon," I smile. I see him look down and pull out a little grin. He starts turning a bright pink; He's blushing.

"Thanks," he says, still looking at the floor, rubbing his right arm with his left hand.

Mr. Smith comes in and starts the lesson. He's quick in starting class. I pull out my notebook and all of my colorful pens. This is the only class I take notes in. The only one. And I make them super nice, with different color ink pens. I'm a very organized person, and this notebook can really prove that. I look over at Brandon who has taken a seat next to me. Mr. Smith doesn't say anything, or as always, doesn't notice. Brandon takes out his black composition notebook and a black ink pen just like mine. He opens the notebook, takes the pen in his left hand, and starts writing, all while looking up at the board, but then he catches me looking at him.

"What?" he asks. I guess my face must have been that of mystification.

"Oh..I..uhh..you..erm..you're left handed?" I stutter.

"Yeah. Is that a crime?" he asks confused.

"No of course not. That's really cool. Like really cool," I respond.

"Umm...thanks," he quizzically responds. He goes back to taking notes, and so do I.

Twenty minutes later, Brandon looks up and gives me a pout.

"What?" Now it's my turn to wonder what's wrong with him.

"Nothing..it's just that..that..does this school offer lacrosse?"

"Yeah it does. In fact it's a spring sport, so if you want to try out, it wouldn't be too late. They should hold try outs during the winter, or a few weeks after winter break," I explain, "It's like that for track at least."

"You're in track?"

"Yeah. I'm a hurdler. I would have joined lacrosse, but track is a spring sport, so it wouldn't be possible. So would you want me to get you the try out dates? I have a few friends in lacrosse who could give them to me."

"Nah I'm not a sporty person. I was just wondering."

Alright. Ask about lacrosse, but don't accept the try out dates. Normal to the bones. I look up at the clock and see that the bell is going to ring in 3..2..1.

Ring! Ring!

I get up from my seat, collecting my stuff, and start heading out the back door. I glance to see if Brandon is nearby. Right behind me.

"So where you heading to now?" I ask Brandon while turning around.

"Lunch," he says like if the answer is obvious and speeds out the hallway.

Normal to the bones.