Chapter 8

Lily's P.O.V.

I stomp into Physics class. I am still really angry about Brandon. He comes up to me to apologize, only to say that he doesn't want my pity.

My pity?

I wasn't even giving him that. I wanted to be his friend.

I want to be his friend. Present tense want.

I don't get it though. It seemed like we were going to be friends; he apologized and everything, and then a second later he spits out something about not accepting my pity. What the literal fuck?

I sit down and throw my backpack on the desk.

“Woah princess I thought you would be excited to see me,” Charlie says to me. We are the only two in our desk. Heather and Anthony both had their away games today, so they left at lunch.

I laugh. “If it pleases you, I am excited to see you,” I say to him.

I just see Charlie, and all my anger melts away. It's crazy to think that someone has the kind of power over you.

“Good, because it would break my heart if you aren't.”

Mr. Cahill starts teaching, but I don't pay attention. I'm still thinking about Brandon. I may not be angry anymore, but I can't help myself to think about him. I'm still going to have him in AP Chem, so I should just try to be his friend. I am going to see him for the rest of the year.

“What are you thinking about there Delcroix?” Charlie asks, breaking me away from my reverie.

I sigh. “Nothing. I'm just tired that's all.”

I look over at him, and I can see that he doesn't believe me at all; he can see right through me. I brace myself for questioning, but I don't hear any.

“Well at least you won't be taking the bus anymore. Am I right?”

“Yeah absolutely.” I sigh in relief, noticing that I had been holding my breath for a while. I'm a horrible liar, so if Charlie asks me what's wrong, I wouldn't be able to lie to him. And I really don't want to tell anyone about Brandon.

“Hey what do ya say if we go eat somewhere or something after school? My treat,” Charlie offers.

“Yeah that would be great,” I answer.

And it would really lift up my spirits. We spend the last ten minutes in silence. That's what I like about Charlie. He knows when someone wants to be in silence. I guess I didn't know that about Brandon.

Charlie and I are outside waiting for Mikey. I guess this whole Charlie-walking-with-us thing is going to be permanent.

“Sorry to keep you waiting guys,” Mikey says while climbing down the steps.

“It's cuz you take notes until the last possible second and then start packing up,” I state.

“Well what about you? When do you start packing up Lily?” he asks teasingly.

“There's no need for me to pack up,” I state haughtily, “I never unpack to begin with.” All three of us start laughing. It's true. I don't take notes at all in that class, so I don't have to take out anything from my backpack.

We start walking to sixth period and reach the crossroad in no time.

Charlie starts walking to the right. “Meet me by my car when you're done,” he screams out.

Mikey gives me a quizzical look.

“What?” I ask.

“His car?” he asks piercingly.

“Yeah he gives me a ride to school and home everyday. We live pretty close to each other,” I state, confused.

Mikey just stays silent. I don't get what's so wrong from getting a ride from your friend. At least Charlie gives me a ride. Mikey never even offers me a ride, and when I try to joke about it, he just says no. Like what the fuck? At least he's nice to give me a ride, unlike someone I know.

We walk the rest of the way to track in silence. I still think it's kind of weird that Mikey stayed quiet. I've known this kid for a while, and when he doesn't approve of something, he keeps to himself. I would try to pry it out of him, but I think I had enough for a day. It's unimportant either way. It's not like Mikey's my boyfriend or something.

I find myself not talking to Mikey at all for the whole period. Not while we are changing, not while we are running, not even while we are stretching. We still do everything together though. We change, run, and stretch together, but without a single word. Mikey finally breaks the silence while we walk to get our stuff.

“Lily...I'm just looking out for you, ya know?” he says out of the blue.

I am caught by surprise.

“Well yeah I know,” I say hesitantly.

“Yeah...well watch out for yourself.”

And he leaves. I start to go after him, but I stop. I have somewhere to be, so I head out the opposite way.