Chapter 22

Brandon's P.O.V.

The coach put us into four different teams, making two games with two teams battling each other. I noticed that he chose the teams based on how well they performed in the warm ups of running. I ended up with the fastest. We're battling the second fastest. I feel myself getting into the zone, forgetting about all my problems, mental issues included. The coach blows the whistle, and I get into full ape mode, as I like to call it. I sprint towards the ball and scoop it up with my stick. I twirl, dash, jump, and tackle people until I reach the goal and its goalie and throw my hardest successfully making a score. All that under two minutes. I see the coach write something in his notebook. I continue scoring, but I assist some of my teammates, passing them the ball even though I have clear shots. I may be good, but I'm a team player. I just needed to show the coach that I'm worth considering. That's why I scored the first one all by myself.

He blows the final whistle, my team winning 15-7. He makes us do some drills next, like passing and tackling. By the time we finish this, it's already the end of try outs. He assigned numbers to us before we started, and now he's calling out these numbers to tell them that they will advance to the next round. My number was 27, and I was the first to be called. We start picking up our stuff and leaving, but the coach stops me.

"What's your name son?"

"Brandon Arrington, sir," I answer respectfully.

"Well I'm Coach Helwitz and you are the first left handed striker I have seen in all the time I have been coaching here. And on top of that, you are the best I have seen. Ever. Better than any of the right handed fellows I ever coached. Don't bother coming to tomorrow's try out. You already made the team, and not just any position, you are going to be this year's varsity captain. You'll be the best striker out there."

"Wow. Thanks Coach. But before anything I have to tell you that I suffer from bipolar disorder and currently I'm also taking meds for depression," I say quietly.

"Oh that don't matter. You played excellent. It seems to me that you don't let your disorders and problems get in the way of your life."

"But sometimes, things can go out of control sir. It did a few times back home."

"We'll take care of those obstacles when they appear. For now I want you to fill in this packet and give this note to your counselor. She'll fix your schedule so you can be in this class by tomorrow." He hands me a packet and the note. I thank him and shake his hand. This is going to be one hell of a season.

I drag myself to the bleachers were Lily is waiting. I'm so tired. And sore.

"Did you make it to the next round?" Lily asks enthusiastically. I sense of hint of hope in her voice, like if she thinks I didn't make it to the next round. Babe, I'm varsity captain.

"As a matter of fact," I say all gloomy, "Coach says I don't need to go to tomorrow's try outs..." I see her expression fall. She's about to comfort me, but before she can I continue, "I don't need to go because I already made the team, and I am officially this year's varsity captain." I grin. Lily starts jumping.

"OMG CONGRATS BRANDON!" She hugs me really tight and kiss me on the cheek, again. I see that she's blushing when she faces me again.

"So is this you-kissing-my-cheek gonna be an everyday thing now?" I question while raising one eyebrow.

"Oh..haha..well I..got carried away.."

"It's okay babe." I wink at her, "I don't mind it at all." Honestly I did not mind at all. I liked it when she kissed me, considering that she has only kissed me twice. It makes me feel giddy and nervous. It makes me feel normal.