The Day

I wake up and for a moment I am in a dreamy state of mind. The state of mind where you don't think of anything, where you don't dread going to school, or start thinking about that interview you have, or that fight with your boyfriend yesterday. You are in complete and total ignorance about the world, and ignorance is bliss.

But those moments don't last for long. Within a second I am no longer ignorant to the world or the day. Today is my evaluation. The day I have been dreading ever since I found out I was a candidate for being a mother. Today I get to be poked and prodded and it will be decided if I will become a whiny pregnant chick for the rest of my life, or a working class citizen with a partner and a child.

My name is Sawyer Rush by the way. I am 16 years old and the year is 2060.

I drag myself out of bed because I know I can't be late for evaluation. I sleepwalk to the shower and practically throw myself in there. The hot water feels like heaven as my mind slowly surfaces from the fog of sleep, and as much as I'd like to stay in there forever, eventually I have to get out. I dry off and walk to my dresser and think of what I should wear. I know that the evaluators are going to be examining my bare naked body but I should at least look a little more presentable in my clothes.

I choose something simple, a sweater and jeans. I'm gonna be naked in front of 6 people later so I might as well keep my modesty while I can.

I throw my black boots on and head downstairs to grab some food. My mom is already down there eating some cereal for herself while typing on her computer at the same time. I grab a bowl and sit down next to her and start eating.

"Honey you know you have the evaluation today right?" My mom asks me worriedly without looking from her computer.

"How could I forget?" I say sullenly

"Okay, just making sure. Don't worry sweetheart, no matter what the outcome will be good." She says cheerfully.

"How could they both be good? If I get chosen to work okay that's fine that's what 98% of this country does. But what if I get chosen? I will be knocked up all the time just pumping out babies left and right. I won't be able to have a boyfriend or a husband or never not be fat!" I say angrily.

"Sawyer! The mothers are who made you and me and everyone else in this goddamn country! You should be more appreciative!"

"Yes but I don't want to be one! I -" My mother cuts me off with a glare, signaling that I am speaking too loud.

"There's nothing you can do about it, now is there." My mother says calmly.

"I'm sorry." I say, suddenly ashamed of my brattiness. My mom has that effect on me when I start acting disrespectful.

"It's ok. Now let's go get this evaluation done with!" My mom says enthusiastically. I groan and she laughs as we walk out the front door.