Prologue

• Dedicated to Adalia

They’ve promised that dreams can come true – but forget to mention that nightmares are dreams, too. – Oscar Wilde

*****

24 July 2004

Dr Harold Kindle woke up.

Where am I?

There were a smell so pungent that he vomited onto the floor. It was as if someone died in there. He tried to scan his surroundings but darkness was all around him. He couldn’t see. That was when he realised that he was blindfolded. He tried to take off his blindfold and then he realised he could not move. His wrists were bounded by strong ropes behind his back and his ankles were shackled. The person who tied him up did a very good job. Of course, he was helpless, and he did what most victims do.

He screamed for help and struggled to break free.

Well, he tried to.

His screams were futile and his struggling only made the ropes cut deep into his skin and tightened even more. He cringed in pain and he could feel blood dripping from his hands.

Even though everything was hazy, Dr Kindle tried to remember what happened to him the day before.

23 July 2004 (The night before Dr Kindle was kidnapped)

11 p.m.

“Sorry honey, I have to work late tonight,” Dr Kindle was in his office while on the phone with his loving wife.

His wife nagged at him.

“I know, I know, but being the new head doctor, I had more things to do as usual, like going to meetings, making sure that everyone is doing their job. It is not as easy as it looks,” He said, massaging his temples.

His wife nagged even more as someone knocked on his door.

“Knock, knock”

He grunted in his mind. “I’m sorry, sweetie, I’ll be back as soon as I can, I have to go now, someone is at the door, I love you,” He hung up on his wife.

He should listen to his wife and go home early that day, but nope, he didn’t. What a fool he was.

“Come in,” Dr Kindle said, while messaging his apology to please his wife.

The door creaked as a tall figure entered. Dr Harold Kindle did not look up and asked, “What you do w-“ Pain exploded in his shoulder. He look at the thing that was pierced into his shoulder.

A tranquiliser dart.

He started to feel drowsy but he struggled to stay awake. He held on to his desk as his legs were already on the floor.

“Wh-Who a-are y-you?” Dr Kindle stammered.

“Me? I am your worst nightmare” The mysterious man roared in laughter.

Dr Kindle’s vision was a blur. He couldn’t resist the power of drowsiness and fell into a world of darkness.

24 July 1999 (Back to the present)

Dr Kindle heard footsteps. He was coming.

The door opened and he heard a male voice talking to him.

“Well, well, well, looks like the head doctor isn’t as majestic as anyone says,” The disembodied voice echoed in the room.

The voice is so familiar. Where have I heard it from?

He felt a knife sliding down his cheek. It hurt like hell.

“Ahh! What the…” Dr Kindle swore.

“Who are you? Please don’t hurt me, I’ve got money...Please!!!” He begged with all his might. A few tears escaped his eyes.

“I don’t want your filthy money. I want you, doctor,” The voice seemed dead.

“Why me…” Dr Kindle whimpered, showing no concern over his dignity.

The voice laughed evilly,” You have something that I want, doctor. You know what, Kindle, I am a very impatient guy. I cannot wait any longer. Today will be your death, Kindle, and it will be the birth of my new occupation…”

Chills went down Harold’s spine as he heard the next line.

“The head doctor.”

“What-” He could not finish his sentence.

The blade penetrated his heart. He jerked forward as blood gushed right out of his mouth. His lifeless body slouched onto the chair as his head hung down.

He was dead.

“Roses are red, violets are blue, they are all dead, and so are you,” The voice chuckled to himself and walked out the door.

I’m Ethan Peyton and no one can mess with me!

Author's Note: Hi! I'm writing this story just for fun. It is going to be short but I'm writing it anyway. It is my first time publishing on Wattpad so please be understanding!