Chapter Seventeen

"Kate?" Jaden was extremely relieved that she was still alive.

There she was, standing in front of him in the doorway. She smiled back at him and pulled him into an embrace. Her warmth made his heart pump wildly, like a beating drum, a feeling he never had before. Finally, they let go.

"I'm so glad to see you!" Kate said with a huge smile on her face, showing off her perfect white teeth.

Jaden smiled back and looked around at his surroundings. "Where are we?"

Kate shrugged. "I don't know either. I woke up and found myself in a room like this. I walked out of my room and saw your room, which was directly across mine. So I went in," she explained, using some gestures to give Jaden a clearer picture.

"Is there anything else?" Jaden inquired.

"Nope, there wasn't even a door outside our rooms. I have no idea how on earth did they put us here." Kate sighed, feeling a sense of hopelessness inside.

Jaden sighed along with her. He looked up to the ceiling, wondering if He will help them even though he is not religious. However, in that situation, one could only hope and pray they would be safe and sound.

There was no way out, it seemed. They could only rely on each other, for comfort and support. Jaden could not help but stare at Kate at times, it gave him a need to protect her, even though he knew he had no power to do so.

Time flew by like a racing car speeding on a road. Jaden and Kate leaned against on each other, talking about their lives. At one point, Kate teared up, listening to Jaden talking about his life.

"I didn't know it was that horrible. I'm sorry," she apologised sincerely, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"What for?"

"For not being there to help you."

"But you didn't know me back then," Jaden protested.

"I know, but as a spy, I feel the need to protect everyone. It's my responsibility." Kate explained.

"Not true. You can't possibly handle seven billion lives at once."

"Yeah but I want to save as many people as I can. That's my life goal." Kate said it with certainty.

What a girl, Jaden thought. She really is special.

Few hours later, Jaden started to fall asleep. Kate was already asleep but Jaden wanted to stay awake. In case of anything, Jaden would be the quick to act.
However, tiredness was overwhelming him and he yawned. His eyes began to droop, he was on his way to the Land of Sleep.

Just then, the door flew open. A bunch of soldiers carrying rifles came marching in. "Hands behind your back!"

Jaden did as he was told. Kate was awake and she did the same.

Will my life get any better?

That was the last thought before a soldier hit him on his head with a rifle.

Darkness soon consumed him.

A/N: Hey! Sorry for the long update hehe. I hope you'll enjoy this chapter. Pls read my other books too. Thanks! :D