Chapter 8

I didn't wake up until almost noon on Sunday. After my shower, I walked downstairs and made myself a plain toast. I was munching on it absent-mindedly, when my mother walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, Steph," she breathed.

"Hey, Mom," I smiled at her.

"How was the party?" she asked, turning on the coffeemaker.

"It was good," I nodded. "Hey, Mom, I need a favor."

"What is it?" she asked and sat on the chair next to me.

"I need a cell phone," I said, finishing my toast and wishing for more, but Danny's words suddenly popped in my head: "If you don't wanna gain weight, stop eating junk..." I sighed and leaned on the table with my elbows.

"Cell phone?" my mother frowned. "Sure, we can get you one. Why though?"

"Well," I sighed. "Since I have friends now, I don't want Eric to eavesdrop on me every time I answer the phone..."

"Ah, yes," she laughed. "Yeah, sure. Let's get you one tomorrow, how's that?"

"Awesome!" I beamed. "Thanks, Mom!"

She smiled and was about to say something when the phone rang. I almost made it, when I heard Eric's cheerful "Helloooooo!!" from upstairs. I cringed.

"Hey, Stephanie," he said a minute later from the steps of the stairs. "It's for you. It's your boy-toy..." and he laughed.

"See?" I said quietly, looking at my mother, and she nodded.

I picked up the phone and looked at my brother.

"Get lost, Eric," I said and he stuck his tongue out at me.

"Eric, I am serious!"

"Eric," my mother said without turning. "You are aware of the fact that I can cut your internet connection off, right?"

That got him out of my sight in a flash.

"Thanks, Mom," I muttered and put the phone to my ear. "Hello?" I said carefully.

"Hey," the phone said casually.

"Oh, hey, Danny... Eric, hang up the phone! I can hear you breathing...! Mom...!" I looked at her pleadingly, and she sighed and got up.

"Eric," she called loudly. "If that phone is anywhere near you when I get up there, say good-bye to your internet for a week!"

I immediately heard the clicking noise when Eric hurriedly put his receiver into the cradle, and I sighed with relief.

"Hey, Danny," I said quietly, walking towards the window.

"What are you doing today, Palmer?" he asked indifferently.

"Not much," I said. "I just woke up..."

"Oh, yeah?" he laughed softly. "Right on. Hey, there is something I wanna show you..."

"What is it?" I asked suspiciously and he laughed again.

"It's a place," he said. "I showed you pretty much everything else last night."

"Right," I muttered and couldn't help but smile at that.

"Come out around five or so, I'll pick you up."

"Okay," I said. "But..."

"Cool," he interrupted me. "See you," and the line went dead.

I frowned and looked at the phone in my hand. I dialed Trisha's number.