Part II, chapter 1

Danny

December 15, 2004

- I -

He put on his sunglasses and walked outside, ignoring his father's angry outburst.

"Yeah, yeah," he muttered under his breath. "Go screw yourself."

He got into his car and lit a cigarette, not even caring if his father would see that. He started the car and drove away, cigarette clenched in his teeth. He felt so angry that he couldn't even think.

"Idiot," he muttered. "Imbecile... Just get her out of your damn head... She was just a good lay, nothing else."

He parked his car and climbed out. He was walking towards the front door of the school, hands clenched into fists in his pockets, when he heard someone call his name. He stopped and turned around.

"Ah, hell..." he muttered when he saw a dark-haired girl run towards him.

"Danny!" she called again, and he smiled at her.

"Hey, Palmer, what's up?"

"I need to talk to you," she said quickly, and Danny wondered if she was purging again. It seemed, she lost at least ten pounds since the last time he talked to her at that damn Halloween party.

"Palmer, how much do you weigh?" he asked, and she grimaced.

"Don't even start that again," she said. "I am not purging, okay? I swear," she added when he narrowed his eyes.

"Whatever," he shrugged. "What do you want?"

"I need a favor," she said in a low voice, and Danny laughed.

"What else is new? What is it?"

She shook her head.

"Not now. Can you come over tonight?"

"Sure," he shrugged indifferently, thinking that tonight he would not lose his control again. "I'll pick you up at six, how's that?"

"Perfect," she beamed. "Thanks, Danny!"

Danny looked at her walking away and felt like breaking something.

"Hey, Danny," someone said quietly, and he turned his head.

"Oh, hey, Trish," he said lightly.

"Danny..." she said uncomfortably. "I need to talk to you..."

He laughed bitterly, and she just looked at him, her eyes puzzled.

"What is it with you people today?" Danny said. "Everyone wants to talk to me... I feel so needed, it's nice really. What do you want, Maxwell?"

"I..." She bit her lower lip.

"Look," Danny brushed his hair off his face. "I need to go turn this in, okay? Figure out what you want and catch me later, okay?"

"Danny..."

"Later, Maxwell," and he walked off.

He left his thick binder in the office of the government teacher and went outside through the back door. Usually, he liked to be amongst people, but right now, he couldn't stand it. He sat on the bench that was covered with snow, and absent-mindedly kicked snow around with the heels of his boots.

"Danny! Just the man I needed to see!"

Danny looked up, smiled, and thought that he would be the happiest man on earth if he could just kill the guy right now.