Chapter 12

October 30, 2004

I looked at myself in the mirror and couldn't help but smile at my reflection. The outfit Danny chose for me was perfect. The black leather vest with a silver zipper on the front hugged my body in a very revealing fashion. Short tight skirt made me look like one of those dominatrix women in the adult magazine. I put on my high-heeled black pumps and quickly checked my makeup, which was a little too heavy, but I figured it was perfect for the Halloween party. I went downstairs and my Dad winced when he saw me.

"You look... nice, Steph," he said uncertainly, and I smiled.

"Thanks, Dad. Don't worry, it's not going to be my permanent look. It's just for the Halloween party."

He relaxed a little.

"What time are you coming home?" he asked casually, and I shrugged.

"I don't know. I might stay at Laurie's for the night."

"Okay," he muttered. "Have fun... Oh, hey have you seen your mother today?"

"Yeah," I said absent-mindedly, pulling my coat off the hanger. "In the morning. Why?"

"She left around noon, and she is still not home."

"Oh..." I realized that Mom was probably with Tony, and wondered why she didn't warn me. "She is probably at Mrs. Calandy's," I shrugged casually. "I've heard them talk on the phone last night. Wanna call Mrs. Calandy?" I asked him slyly, having no idea what I would do if he said yes, but he just shuddered.

"No," he said quickly. "The woman gives me creeps... Have fun tonight, Steph."

"Will do!" I answered lightly and walked outside where Danny was waiting for me in his car.

"Well, you look nice and slutty," he smirked when I got into the front seat.

"Thanks," I smiled at him. "What happened to your face?" I frowned when I saw a cut on his forehead and a bruise on his cheekbone.

"Oh," he rubbed his forehead. "I kinda got kicked out of my house," he said with a small smile. "Things got out of control and I got into a fight with my Dad..."

"Kicked out of your house? Where are you going to stay?" It sounded so bizarre that I couldn't believe him.

He shrugged.

"Dunno," he said lightly. "It's not permanent, don't worry. I'll probably go back tomorrow night. Happened before."

"You got kicked out of the house before?" I asked him incredulously, and he grinned.

"Several times," he said. "I am a bad apple. I think my parents are about to give up on me, which is fine with me. I am moving out in April anyway."

"Wow," I said softly, and glanced at the car clock. "It's only five-thirty," I said. "Why did you want to leave so early?"

He looked at me and sighed.

"Palmer..." he said and pulled down the zipper on my vest. "That's why."

"Oh..." I said and laughed when his fingers lightly touched my chest. "Okay then..."

...We got to Laurie's house around 8:30, and I had to reapply my makeup. I looked at the brightly lit house and felt jealous. I always thought our house was fairly big, but compared to Laurie's house, it was merely a wood cabin.

"God," I muttered when we were walking towards the front door. "This is like a mansion... Are her parents royalty or something?"

"Her Dad owns a computer company," Danny said and looked at me critically. "Now, Palmer..." He suddenly stopped and took me by the shoulders. "Are you sure you want to go through with it?"