Part III, chapter 6

March 14, 2005, 7 PM

Danny stared at the blinking light as if he was mesmerized. The quiet "Beep! Beep!" of the machine matched the rhythm of his heartbeat. Trisha lightly touched his shoulder and he slowly turned his head.

"How is she?" Trisha whispered.

"The doctors said she'll be fine," he said unemotionally. "She just lost some blood and broke a hell of lot of bones, but nothing major..."

"God, Danny..." She blinked, and tears ran down her cheeks. "Tyler is somewhere in this hospital... You broke his collarbone."

"Too bad," he muttered. "I was aiming for his neck."

"Danny..."

"Don't worry, Maxwell," he said and shoved his hands in his pockets. "I am not going to try and murder him again. I will have to come back to school next semester, since Berkley suspended me until July..." He grinned.

"Tyler's parents said that they wouldn't press any charges..." Trisha said softly, and Danny shrugged.

"Whatever..." He absent-mindedly slapped her on the shoulder. "Later, Maxwell. Say hi to Palmer for me, will ya?"

"You are leaving?" she asked him in disbelief.

"Yeah," he nodded. "Gonna go home, get my shit together, and move in with David for a month or so until I find my own place..."

"Danny..." she whispered.

"Later, Maxwell," he repeated and walked out.