Part III, chapter 2

Tyler

January 27, 2005

I was always one of the good guys, you know. I mean, I am no angel, and I made my fair share of mistakes, but I never hurt anyone on purpose. Until now. Well, I guess I had to start sometimes... I didn't like doing this much, but at the same time, the very thought about the sweetness of a payback would almost give me a hard-on every time I imagined Jordan's face when he found out about my little scheme.

This Palmer girl was weird. I mean, she was really good-looking and insanely good in the sack – she was a bit too skinny, but what the hell – but she was like one of those little nesting dolls, what do you call them...? You know, the ones that you look at, and they are all cute and shit, and then you realize that the top part comes off. So you take off the top– no pun intended – and there is another little doll inside, and another one inside that one, and another one under there... Some of them could have, like, up to twenty dolls in one. Matryoshka, I think that's the name. Anyway, that's what Palmer reminded me of. At first, I thought she was just an easy lay; but then, all of a sudden, she'd be, like, all quiet for no reason; and I swear to God, a couple of times, when I was about to screw her brains out, she would look at me, and it was like she didn't even see me. It was like she was seeing someone else. You know, like when you doing your girlfriend and you are imagining it's Angelina Jolie? Like that, except I was positive she wasn't thinking of Brad Pitt or some other Hollywood douche bag. She looked at me like I was someone who was the part of her freaking soul. And then she'd change and see me again. It was driving me crazy. I even told her about it one time, but she just looked at me like I was psychotic or something, and told me to stop being ridiculous.

Then Laurie found out about us. It was completely my fault though. I got way too careless, and one of those days, she simply walked in on us. I am still kicking myself for that one. Laurie is not one of those crazy drama queen bitches that start tearing out their hair and threaten to hang themselves when they find out about 'infidelity of a partner' – that's Laurie's talk, right there, by the way – she is, like, totally in control, and always calm. She just looked at us and walked out. Didn't even say anything. Later that day, she looked me in the eye and said:

"Tyler, a year ago, I said that I would not share you with anybody else, and I also said that if you didn't like that, you were free to go. You gave me your word that you would only be with me. Now you've broken that promise, and I don't know how many times you have broken it before I found out, and I don't care. We are through." And just like that, she kicked me out of her life.

At first, I was panicking. I mean, I do love Laurie; I love her very much. But there is another thing that makes me love her even more. Now, when you'll hear about it, you'll probably think that I am a total dick, and maybe you are right. Laurie's parents are filthy rich, and Laurie is the only child. Now, I am not a gold digger, but when you just think about all the money that family has... I mean, I am just a human, okay? I am sure I would be in love with her even if she were dead-broke, but she happened to be rich, and I think it's a very nice perk. So losing Laurie was my biggest fear.

I decided to be more careful with Palmer, and at first, Laurie bought it, but then she found out again. This time, I didn't screw up. I don't know how she knew, she just did. A woman's freaking intuition. So on Christmas Eve, that stupid blonde calls me, and she is all like, "Oh, you need to come here, like, now!" So I go there, and there is Laurie, wailing like a banshee, her wrists bandaged and bloody. And that blonde, Ashlee, she just looks at me and says, "You know, karma is a bitch." Jesus! Like I was the one who pinned her to the wall back then.

So anyway, I go down on my knees, I beg Laurie to forgive me, I swear to her on my mother's life that I would always be hers and hers alone, and finally, she forgives me. This time, I decided that I was not going to be stupid anymore, and right after Christmas break, I told Palmer that it was over, and that she should just leave me the hell alone.

She looked at me like I just confessed killing her baby brother, and she didn't even say anything. She just stood there and stared at me. Then she did leave me alone, and I was relieved. But a week or so later – I am not good with dates – all of a sudden, Danny goes completely nuts and breaks my freaking nose in the parking lot for no damn reason! I was pissed, but I also couldn't figure out what the hell happened to him, and what the hell did I do. I mean, Danny is, like, one of the most cheerful people I know, he never loses his temper. We were never best buds, but we would hang out a lot, and he was always really cool.

And then I see him later, on the same day, and guess what, ladies and gentlemen! Turns out that Danny has a thing for Palmer. And then it hits me hard. Remember how I said that Palmer would see someone else's face when she was with me? I am 99.9 percent positive it was Danny's face she saw. I have no idea what happened between those two, but suddenly, everything just clicked together. Danny being all crazy and weird; Palmer being strange and quiet... So at first, I was like, to hell with it, you know? I was totally going to take the high road. But then I just couldn't stop thinking about it. It was constantly driving me crazy, thinking how he hit me and broke my nose in front of the entire freaking school... So call me a weak human, but I decided to pay him back. I wouldn't fight him or resort to violence of any sort, no. I'll just fuck Palmer up so much that she won't even look at him again. Call me a dick, but the very thought of it made me almost high with excitement.