Part III, chapter 3

Danny

February 14, 2005

Danny sat in his car and listened to country music. He hated country music. He wouldn't turn it off though, because the torture that the songs were giving him was nothing compared to the torture that he felt when he listened to anything else. He wished he had her picture, just so he could stick needles in it, and maybe burn her eyes out with a cigarette. He was seriously considering getting really drunk – something he hasn't done in almost a year – when somebody tapped on his window. He sighed and rolled the window down.

"Danny... I need to talk to you..." she said, biting her lower lip.

"What do you want, Maxwell?" he said, thinking that he should've parked his car somewhere else, somewhere in the desert. Or maybe he should've just driven off a cliff or something. That sounded better and better every minute.

"There is something..." His eyes flashed anger at her when she stopped talking, and she winced. "I am sorry," she said quickly. "I wouldn't bug you, but it's really important..."

"What is it?" he lit a cigarette.

"It's about Stephanie..." she mumbled, and he almost laughed.

"Are you kidding me, Maxwell? Get the hell out of here. Go to your boyfriend, it's a holiday; go buy him some chocolates or something..." and he started to roll up his window when she blurted:

"I think she wants to hurt Laurie!"

He froze for several minutes.

"Get in the car," he said finally.

"My car is here..." She started saying, but he interrupted her.

"Just get in the damn car. I'll drive you back."

She quickly walked towards the passenger door and carefully slid into the front seat. Danny started the car and turned off the music.

"Where are we going?" Trisha asked in a small voice.

"I need a drink," he grumbled.

"Danny..."

"Jesus Christ on a unicycle! A caffeinated drink, Maxwell. I am going to the freaking Starbucks!"

"Sorry," she whispered, and he silently drove out of the parking lot.

...They were sitting outside Starbucks, and Trisha shivered from the cold wind. Danny absent-mindedly pulled off his jacket and threw it to her.

"You'll get cold," she said, and he just gave her a dark look.

She closed her mouth and wrapped his jacket around herself.

"Thanks," she muttered.

"The only reason you are freezing out here is because I can't smoke inside," he said, lighting a cigarette. "So I figured it wasn't quite fair. Now, what did you want?"

She slowly drank her coffee.

"Ah, what the hell," she muttered. "Give me one of those..."

She carefully puffed on the Parliament that Danny handed her, and thoughtfully looked at him.

"Do you think it's sick that I was totally turned on by Tim Curry in a transvestite outfit?" She asked suddenly, and Danny started to cough.

"What?" he finally managed.