Chapter 10

October 28, 2004

Trisha threw her backpack on her shoulder and looked at me approvingly.

"You look awesome," she said. "I totally love your pants!"

"Thanks," I said with a smile.

"And you are so skinny, it's crazy!" she said. "I am jealous... How much do you weight?"

"A hundred and five," I said smugly, and she just gasped.

"How?" she asked, and I shrugged.

"Diet and exercise, my friend," I said lightly, knowing that I would rather die than tell her about my dirty little secret.

"Nice!" Trisha breathed. "Hey, have you seen Ashlee lately? She looks like hell..."

"Yeah," I agreed. "She really does. I wonder if she is sick or something..."

"Bulimia is probably catching up with her finally," Trisha muttered, and I tried not to wince. "Hey, Steph, how did you do on the math test?"

"Don't know," I shrugged. "I guess it was okay."

"I am nervous," she admitted. "I don't think I did so great..."

"You'll be fine," I said, thinking that I probably didn't do so great myself, since the last time I actually studied for real was the night when Danny called me almost three weeks ago. Ever since then, I spent every evening with him, and by the time I got home, the homework was the last thing on my mind.

"Hey, are you going to the Halloween party on Saturday night?" Trisha remembered suddenly, and I frowned.

"Is it at Danny's house?" I asked, thinking that he never mentioned that to me.

"No," she shook her head. "Danny never does Halloween party 'cause his parents are always home... It'll be at Laurie's place this year."

"Laurie Drey?" I asked, and suddenly, I couldn't breathe.

"Yeah..." she smiled. "Oh, you are so there already, I can see..."

I laughed.

"You bet I am coming," I said.

"Are you taking Danny?" Trisha asked, and I winced.

"I don't think so," I said slowly, and she just shook her head.

"Why not?"

"We are not an item, Trish," I said patiently.

"Right," she snorted. "You are only with him, like, every night..."

I shrugged.

"It's sex and sex only," I said.

"Whatever," Trisha sighed. "Aren't you going to the gym class?" she frowned when I walked pass girls' locker room.

"Nope," I said lightly. "Bergman can go screw herself, I don't care."

"Stephanie, I don't believe you..." Trisha said slowly. "You are so totally different since August, it's insane..."

"Yeah, well," I shrugged. "Have fun in gym class!"

...I went into the bathroom and was about to call Danny, when suddenly, I heard somebody crying in one of the cabins.

"Who's there?" I called carefully and put my phone away.

"Go away," a muffled voice said finally. "Leave me alone..."