Closer, One Moment At A Time (Chapter 27)

"So it seems we all need to do more team bonding," Ku announces before training the next day, standing tall while the rest are sitting on the floor, peering up.

"Team bonding? You mean between teens and adults..?" Owen questions, pointing to his friends and then Amy and her siblings.

"Oh gosh," Red shakes his head. "That'll end well..."

"Which is why I am not doing it between teens and adults," Ku settles Red's fear. "What I meant was within yourselves. You teens have only been together for a few months, so it only makes sense to have more team bonding activities."

"Then what are we doing? Because by that logic, we've already known each other since childhood," Scott questions.

"You all will do team bonding too. I noticed us leaving for almost a year has caused a bit of a drift," Ku refers to Amy's absence.

"He's got a point," Amy shrugs. "Siblings party?"

"You know it girl!" Quill cheers, putting one fist in the air and the other hand keeping her legs from flying up.

"No training then..?" Brenton looks hopeful.

"No training you lazy lot," Ku chuckles and they all cheer. "Jamil will be coming by in a few minutes, please do not pressure the poor man with a threat that will not affect him."

"We were so depressed the other day," Red sighs.

"But we got to see something cute because of it~" Quill grins, eyeing Amy who groans.

"Hey Coach," Owen gets up. "Can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Yeah, sure," Amy looks confused as she gets up and follows Owen out of the Magic Space and into the living room. "So, what is it?"

"It's about my brother," Owen starts and Amy raises an eyebrow. "He does things that seem like something but aren't really...he's just really kind and thoughtful and loves helping people..."

"Owen, I'm the last person you should be having this conversation with," Amy chuckles. "I know he's just being nice, I know it's not meant to be romantic in any way."

"Still, I have this conversation with everyone I notice. They think he does and then get sad when it's just polite gestures," Owen shrugs.

"Dude," Amy starts. "I'm a hero back in the Magic World. I've Femme Fatal-ed my way out of most Orders. I know intentions and Jamil is just being nice. That's all I really need too, a friend. No feelings."

"Good," Owen sighs in relief. "The last time I had this conversation it didn't end well."

"He is attractive, I can see why," Amy jokes and Owen smiles slightly.

"Glad you get it, people in love can be really scary you know," Owen half-jokes and Amy laughs.

"So sorry you have to go through this," Amy pats his shoulder.

"Anything for my brother you know, he's such a dense idiot," Owen shakes his head. "I'm glad my brother's got a friend like you Coach."

"How sweet," Amy grins. "Now, I'm sure you're supposed to be bonding with the other hooligans."

"Right," Owen grins too. "I'll see you later then."

Amy watches as Owen leaves the room, her arms crossed. He's a good brother, Amy thinks before leaving the room herself.

No feelings. What happened to make him come and talk to me about it though?

--

"What are we even supposed to do?" Alex asks, lying next to Brenton on the grass in Ku's front lawn.