WereWolf

CHAPTER TWO

Werewolf

  After a very brief tour of the camp-grounds, by the time we had finished unpacking the sun had set, casting a golden glow over the treetops. A large orange fire spread hazily igniting the sky from the grove in a mirage of violent colours. The thing about sunsets is that you never actually see the sun setting, it's just there in the sky one minute then kaboosh! An explosion of orange, pinks and reds until they all merge into one glorious violet haze. The lights dazzled on the leaves settling on the spring-green grass.

 I had never seen something so simple and pretty back at  worchester heights. 

My nostalgic poetism lasted for a solid five minutes before I remembered that the one thing I could count on back home, did not exist here.

   Instead of worrying about the parasitic creatures lurking in the trees my main source of concern was now the lack of wifi. How was I supposed to contact my parents-on second thought, I realised that was a good thing. 

I didn't think I could bear to hear anymore lies.

I clenched my fists once more; it was starting to become a habit. The voices would flash through my mind, and then the adoption order and then their faces when I confronted them. My mom's coffee mug shattering to the floor.

White pieces scattered everywhere.

*** *** *** **** **** *****

 Sitting around a luminous  campfire I gazed in wonder as the sparks lit up the ominous sky. Stars dazzled  me from above  like threads on a tapestry. The wind had grown colder, matching the dense atmosphere, and I hugged my arms to myself, anticipating raindrops. Black ash touched my jeans from the fire but they were an old pair with holes in them. 

I held my stick of marshmallows stiffly. When would these things finish roasting?

I glanced at Matt beside me, noting that his set were becoming a golden, warm color. 

Mine remained white.

We learned a few things about Raphael and the other counselors. One, they attended  colleges or Universities and counseling was their summer job. The main counselors of the group seemed to be Raphael and Aleara. Our group held thirteen people overall-which was quite a lot we learned, for a forest camp.

 A silence settled over the  campfire as the group focused on  roasting marshmallows. I cast soft glances towards Raphael, hoping he wouldn't notice. My eyes travelled over his soft black hair down to his long eyelashes over stunning emerald eyes. They enthralled me, seemingly unnatural. He was just the most beautiful human I had ever seen. Was that wrong? I felt kind of shallow as my gaze brushed over his bronzed skin.

 He chuckled with the girl beside him and I felt heat emerge from my chest. 

I blushed as we made eye contact and quickly looked away.

 The wind grazed my skin like feathers, erupting goose bumps along my arms. I watched the trees waver in the background, dancing against the shadows and soft light. my heart beat steadily in my chest. Did my parents really find me out here? It was insane. It was absolutely insane to think about.

"Are you still thinking about it?"

"What?" Matt had snapped me out of my reverie with his question.

"The adoption." He whispered softly. I sighed. He was the only one who knew. I couldn't tell any of my other friends, because I wanted to get away as soon as I heard; and since Matt was going to the summer camp, I thought why not. Coincidentally, it just so happened to be my birthplace.