Chapter 6

Be sincere; be brief; be seated.
~ Franklin Delano Roosevelt - Politician

Dax Atreides stood silently as he watched his mother.

Arista stopped pacing and turned to her Chief of Staff. “Find him.”

The man bowed and left.

She turned on her son.  “Is it not enough that I have given you life?! That your brother goes off on his own personal Jihad?”  Arista demanded of him.  “And the Royal Court wonders as why I do not name my heir!”

“Mother…”

“SILENCE!” She threw the voice at him and despite his training the fury with which she whiled the tool shut him up completely.  “You were raised in Desert and Palace and yet you and your brother do not know the ways of survival of either World!”

He broke the command.  “I am not my brother and never make that mistake mother.  We may look alike but we are not.”

The tone in his voice gave her a moment of pause.  “Maybe.” She conceded. “Maybe.”

~*~*~*~*~

Rammen ensured that the message was completely brunt.  The statement from Vlad had been simple.

AMMASO FOUND. PHASE TWO MUST START:  CHARGE HIM WITH DERELICTION OF DUTY, ABSENT WITHOUT LEAVE AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT THE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL CAN COME UP WITH.  JUST KEEP THE PRESSURE ON ARISTA.

~*~*~*~*~

Amasso hugged Sophia and then Yousif there were no words to express his emotional state. He tried.

Yousif stopped him. “Go. It is the will of Allah. You came to us and now you must go.”

“Even if it is to find Dax.” Sophia grinned.  

“Even if it is to find Dax.” Yousif echoed his wife.  “Allah be with you my brother.”

“Think of us.” Sophia requested.

“I will NEVER forget you.” He promised yet still he hesitated.

“You do not wish to go?” Sophia probed.

“I had planned to go to New Mecca.” He explained.  “It is time.”

Yousif nodded his understanding “Patience brother. It is not time yet. If it were then these men would not have found you. Now it is time for you to reclaim your life. It is the will of Allah.  Go. You will see New Mecca when it is time.”

“And when you do bring this Dax to see us.” Sophia suggested suddenly.

Amasso’s face lit up. “Yes!” He nodded “Yes!”

~*~*~*~*~

Reverend Mother Mo’Hadin stared at the data disc.  She had the advantage of past lives to guide her even if there was the risk of insanity.   What she held in her hand was new even to them.

The message from Chapter House was indisputable.   There was reason to believe that Salusa Secundus may have Sand Worms.  A Sister was being sent to verify.

In the mean time the sisterhood was informing her in the event that the information may be of use to her.  One thing was clear – the monopoly of Spice production on Dune had to be broken.   As far as Mo’Hadin was concerned someone/anyone breaking the spice monopoly would weaken the Atreides Empire and strengthen the Bene Gesserit position and that could only be a good thing.

~*~*~*~*~

The Lady Alexi stood before the Reverend Mother Farrah.  Farrah was not happy.  “Alexi there has been no progress with The Prince Dax Atreides?!”

“Reverend Mother, The Prince has been keeping his distance and since our initial encounter we have met once or twice.  Neither occasion lent itself to the furtherance of the mission.”  Alexi explained.

Farrah stood to look out the window.  Alexi continued.  “What is required is a situation that requires our constant contact.  I understand that The Empress is in need of a Cabinet Secretary.”

Farrah turned and faced the young Reverend Mother. “… and the sons attend the Cabinet Meetings…”

“The situation remains less than ideal but it will provide an opportunity for constant contact.”  Alexi forwarded her case.

“Agreed. I shall have Ambassador Mo’Hadin speak with the Empress.”   She said and then added. “It may not be an easy assignment to have allocated or to execute for you are young.”

“But able.” Alexi assured the Reverend Mother.

~*~*~*~*~

The Tleilaxu had seen the Team head up the mountain and had had the patience to await their return.

On the trip back to the Command Post they struck.  There were explosions everywhere.  Amasso Atreides together with a number of others was thrown from the transport. Once again he survived, where many did not.

His memory returned.

~*~*~*~*~

FROM: TERRAN GROWTH INC

TO: PRINCE RAMMEN CORRINO

MESSAGE:

ALL IS ON SCHEDULE.

WE RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THE SECOND INSTALLMENT OF PAYMENT.

J’TU
CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD.

~*~*~*~*~

The rag tag team from the Mountains finally entered the Command Post. 

The JAG Officer scrutinized them as they walked by.  “That him?”

“Yes sir.” The Sergeant replied.

The Lt. Colonel impeded the passage of Amasso.  “Major Amasso Atreides?”

Amasso glanced at the man before him, “…and who wants to know?”

The man ignored the statement and continued. “Major Amasso Atreides, the Judge Advocate General hereby charges you with the following under the UCMJ.” He proceeded to rattle off the list to a stunned Major,

Article 97. - Unlawful detention.
Article 86. - Absence without leave.
Article 87. - Missing movement.
Article 88. - Contempt toward officials.
Article 89. - Disrespect toward superior commissioned officer.
Article 90. - Assaulting or willfully disobeying superior commissioned officer.
Article 92. - Failure to obey order or regulation.
Article 98. - Noncompliance with procedural rules.
Article 108. - Military property of Fedaykin -- Loss, damage, destruction, or wrongful disposition.
Article 111. - Drunken or reckless driving.
Article 112. - Drunk on duty.
Article 112a. - Wrongful use, possession, etc., of controlled substances.
Article 116. - Breach of peace.
Article 117. - Provoking speeches or gestures. (Contemptuous words)
Article 123a. - Making, drawing, or uttering check, draft, or order without sufficient funds.
Article 133. - Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman.

“… and any other charge that the Judge Advocate may wish to add.” The Colonel finally ended the litany.  “Sergeant!” 

“Aye, Sir!”

“Place this man in custody till he can be transported.”

“Aye, Sir!”

“Should have stayed in the damned mountains.” Amasso grumbled as he was taken away.

--