Chapter 12- Nephthys' game; the riddle of a blessed God

Previously, on The Purest Temple...

"It...it can't be!" Atem said as he was stunned at what he saw or should I say who he saw.

"Hello Atem." The mysterious goddess said.

"Nephthys?!" Atem asked.

"Nephthys?! Like the goddess of death Nephthys?!" Tristan asked.

"An actual Egyptian goddess!!" Joey said.

"Atem, you didn't think you would get an answer without proving yourself first have you? How about we play a game, one that requires your pretty little temple." Nephthys said.

"I'd gamble many things in a game, but Yugi's life is never one of them! You're not having him!" Atem said as he stepped forward.

"Don't challenge me, young demi God!" Nephthys said as she stretched her gardz out and wrapped Atem's wrist and pulled him close to her.

"Your bravery is nothing but foolishness if you think you can take me on." She said as she touched his cheek.

Note: Don't go up against a goddess of death.

"Don't worry Atem, the sooner you play my game, the sooner I will let you leave, perhaps if you win." Nephthys said.

"If I win?" Atem asked.

Nephthys snapped her fingers and made two gardz appear from the ground and binding both Yugi's hands, causing him to kneel.

"Partner!" Atem shouted.

"Ah ah, not yet. We can't have you cheat this game, you'll go to him soon enough, maybe." Nephthys said.

"Is this a shadow game?" Yugi asked as he tried to break free.

"Yugi!" Tristan shouted.

"Don't worry Yuuge, we will-" Joey was cut off by Nephthys.

"Stop right there! The game has already begun, if anyone interferes with us, the game will end and Yugi's life is mine! Does everyone understand? This is your only warning!" She said.

"Crap!" Joey said angrily.

"The rules are simple, just rescue your beloved temple and you win. Oh one more thing..." Nephthys said as she snapped her fingers at Atem, causing him not to move his legs.

"My...! My legs! I can't move them! Just like when...! Wait, she isn't thinking of...!" Atem thought to himself.

"Let's see how long it takes for you to reach him, if at all." Nephthys said as she snapped her fingers again and made an Egyptian soldier appeared with a staff in his hand.

"I DECLARE YUGI'S TITLE AS TEMPLE REVOKE!!" She yelled.

"NO!!!" Atem yelled.

Yugi got the thinking, "Why is Nephthys doing this to Atem? What is it he needs to do to prove himself to her?"

Atem tries to take a few steps closer to Yugi.

Then Teà got thinking as she stood on the sidelines and watched the whole thing happened as she became scared to death for both Yugi and Atem.

"This is bad! I want to help, me and the others want to stop this, but if we do Yugi will die and it wouldn't be a good idea to face a goddess, we don't know what she can do! I feel useless!!"

************************************
As he watched Yugi struggled to break free, Atem got the thinking about his nightmare and how could he move.

"I couldn't get to him in my nightmare, but I won't allow it to be a reality! There has to be a way for me to move!! I won't lose my partner! Not a second time!!"

"Nephthys! I won't allow you to take Yugi away from me! Whatever it is you want from me, leave him out of it!" He said.

"I'd be doing less talking and more moving if I were you right now, but I'm feeling generous. Here's a riddle to winning this game. "The power a God is measured by a mortal's prayer. The strength of a mortal is measured by the first blessing, but the abilities of a being of shared worlds can save both as a whole, giving each eternal life, to become this being, one must lose a God's blessing to protect another." That is the riddle." Nephthys said.

"A God's blessing?" Atem asked.

"Correct." Nephthys answered.

Then Atem got the thinking about it as he started to figure out the riddle.

"I don't understand, but at the same time I have a feeling I know what it is, but what if I'm wrong? I can't afford to be wrong, not now. If I mess up this hint, I may lose Yugi  forever! I can't lose him, no now, not ever!"

"Come on Atem, you can do this." Yugi said.

Atem kept thinking about the riddle as he tried to take a few steps forward towards Yugi, "A mortal prayer, a God's first blessing and a being of both worlds. A prayer is a wish and the first blessing is the first gift a God gives to a mortal and the being of both worlds. A mortal's prayer gives a God strength and the ability to exist. The God's first blessing is life. To save my partner, it's what I must give to Nephthys. In order to become a being of both worlds, a mortal bound with a God. I understand what that being is, only a demi-God can achieve it."

"I know the answer, I know what I need to do in order to save my partner." He said.

"Then you know what needs to be done, give out your answer." Nephthys said.

"Nephthys! Take away my first blessing! I will give it to you in order to save Yugi!!!" Atem said.

The soldier stepped behind Yugi and raised up his staff, Yugi looked behind and saw that the soldier had his stafe raised.

"YUGI!!!!" Joey, Tristan and Tea were horrified as they saw the soldier was going to kill Yugi as Nephthtys snapped her fingers, giving the soldier the order to kill Yugi as he closed his eyes tight.

But just when he was about to put the blade down on him, Yugi opened his eyes and saw nothing happened to him as he looked up and saw Atem saving his life.

As you can see, Atem grew his wings.

Yep, he became a God.

To be continued...