Chapter 15: Back Again

Emily

Noah had been gone for three days.

My heart hurt and tugged when someone mentioned his name. His parents shuffled in and out of the house in silence. The other pack members avoided my gaze and when they did happen to make eye contact, it was brief.

I was going stir-crazy.

"Someone please say something." I muttered, sitting at the dining table. Haylee shuffled from one foot to the next, biting her lip. I shot her a glance, pleading her to say anything at all.

"He'll come back." She spoke so low it was barely noticeable.

I hope so.

If he doesn't it's your fault. Jessie angrily paced in my mind. She wasn't much better dealing with Thomas being gone.

I miss him. She howled, heartbreakingly.

I do too. I sighed and sat my head down on the oak table. I turned circles in my cereal. My body physically hurt without him. Every bone ached to be near him. My shoulder was killing me, though I had no idea why. I checked this morning to see if I had bruised myself but my shoulder was untouched. A loud bang of the front door startled me and I heard yelling. I hopped to my feet and ran, feeling pain in my shoulder again. Tears streaming down my face I dreaded to see what I thought I was going to see. I rounded the corner to see Noah holding another man against him, yelling at the others to get the doctor. Blood flowed from Noah's shoulder, it turned his grey shirt crimson. I dropped to my knees.

I was feeling Noah's pain.

His face contorted when he saw me on the ground. He rushed to me and hugged me, getting blood on my shirt. His hug was sweaty and warm and I immediately returned it.

"Are you ok?" He asked, running his hand down my face. I leaned into the touch and I felt my tears slide down, wetting his hand. His blue eyes stared at me, softly. The doctor came through the door and took over dabbing the other man's stomach with wrappings. The man was pale and not responding to the doctor's questions, he turned to Noah shaking his head no. Noah tensed against me and cursed beneath his breath.

I pulled myself away from him and watched as the doctor, who I learned was named Smith, bandaged Noah's wound. After he was done, Noah grabbed my hand and took me to our room. He took off his shirt and laid on the bed. I sat on the edge, not wanting to face him. He finally poked my shoulder and I turned, revealing big crocodile tears falling from my eyes. He sat up and pulled me to him.

"Hey. It's ok babe. I'm fine." He cooed at me. I squeezed him tightly, shocking him. He pulled me closer against him, my words whispering into his ear as he had me straddling him.

"I felt your pain." I put my head into the crook of his neck, careful to avoid hurting his shoulder. "I thought I lost you." The last few words falling softly out of my mouth. The silence was antagonizing. Finally, he pulled away to look at me. He wiped the tears and left his hand on my cheek.

"You'll never lose me." He stared deeply into my eyes. "Not as long as you want me." I felt the double edged meaning to his words. The next words that came out, I couldn't believe my own ears. I felt my mouth moving but didn't register what I was saying until all the sound came rushing back.

"I will always want you, Noah."

He smiled at me, a true smile. One that could've stopped the world from turning.