Chapter 28: Wishful Thinking

Emily

I screamed as Toby and Noah fought. Circling each other, while Noah tried to get to me. His claws reached for me.

"Noah! Stop, please. Listen to me, it's Emily. I love you!" I yelled at him, grabbing a large stick. He continued his pursuit acting as though the words didn't effect him.

"What did you do to him." I ran to Declan and shoved him. Not caring what happened to me anymore.

"Now, now. We wouldn't want something to happen to that bundle of joy would we?" I cradled my stomach, momentarily forgetting how serious the situation was. Noah would kill our baby if he killed me.

"Noah, you'll kill our baby." I whispered to him. His face fell for a few seconds before the darkness came back.

He's not completely gone.

My hair was wet from the rain falling slowly, and the ground was becoming quite muddy. The rubber boots were only working so well. I kept slipping around trying to avoid falling. Toby bit Noah's arm and he shrieked and threw a punch back. The fighting moved to the ground, tackling and shuffling.

"This is growing boring. Noah demand for him to stop fighting you."

Toby's eyes grew wide with worry.

"Emily, if he does that I won't be able to fight him. You have to run!" Toby yelled as he held Noah off as long as he could.

"Stop." Noah hissed and Toby's arms fell to his side.

"Run, Emily!!"

I turned and bolted as quickly as I could in rubber boots. They slid and slopped to the side as I ran. The wind and rain whipped my face painfully. Trees grabbed at my bare legs. A hard mass shoved me to the ground and I fell with a crunch. My ankle was twisted. I flipped over onto my butt and scooted away. My ankle started to swell and blood dripped from my knees. Noah stalked closer to me, still standing from where he shoved me. Declan was behind him, smiling at me.

"Come on Noah, you know you hate her. She doesn't respect you. She doesn't want your baby or this life with you. Reject her. Kill her."

My eyes widened at his request. My death will be painful, he was making sure of that. Not only would I be rejected which makes it feel like your heart is torn in two, but I'd be killed shortly after. Noah came closer, resting a hand on my knee and glowered at me, his eyes void of emotion.

"Noah, baby. I love you. I know you're stronger than this. I'm sorry I said those things. I'm sorry I hurt you. Please don't do this." I whimpered. "Think of our girl, she needs you." His face was still void. Declan came just right behind him, whispering, "Do it now." He snarled.

"Emily Olivia Daniels, I hereby-" I closed my eyes and waited to hear the rest, to feel the pain.

But instead, I heard a gurgling sound and then silence.

I was scared to open my eyes.

The rain poured over me, drenching me and blending with my tears.

Was I dead?

I felt a hand on mine slowly. My eyes blinked under the water and opened.

Noah sat in front of me crouched on his knees, his hand was bloody.

"No-Noah?" My voice trembled. His hand caressed me. I leaned into it, staring into his blue eyes.

"It's over. He's dead, baby. I'm so sorry I hurt you." I looked behind him and saw Declan, motionless, eyes open, with no heart. I hugged Noah with such force it pushed him backwards onto his butt.

"You were right." He stated as he hugged me.

"About what?"

"I tried to reason with him and I actually got through for a little bit. I talked to him. It wasn't him, he was trapped in his own body by something evil. The darkness. He told me how to kill it and I told him I couldn't kill him. He told me, he was proud of me and that I had to. To save you." Tears slid down his face.

"I'm sorry about your brother." I sighed into his chest.

"Noah!"

"Emily!"

Voices yelled for us from all around. Noah got up and pulled me with him, his hand resting on my stomach. Haylee came running to us, followed by Brad and Toby. I ran to my brother and hugged him.

"Thank you." I cried. His arms folded around me and squeezed slightly. He kissed my head and let me go.

Haylee grabbed Noah and looked him over, before hugging him.

"Mom is better. She's herself. It's over." She sighed happily. Soon everyone noticed the dead body.

Haylee's smile faltered.

"Oh, poor Declan." Noah wrapped his arm around her and hugged her again.

"He was ready to go."

She nodded her head and then went to me, hugging me.

Getting to the pack house seemed to last forever, not that I remembered most of it. The rain and exhaustion had hit me hard.

Back home.

Our home.

I was content, more so than I had been for weeks.